Operates traveling or stationary overhead crane (cab- or ground controlled) to lift, move, and position loads, such as machinery, equipment, products, and solid or bulk materials, using hoisting attachments, such as hook, sling, electromagnet, or bucket.
- Observes load hookup and determines safety of load.
- Manipulates or depresses crane controls, such as pedals, levers, and buttons, to regulate speed and direction of crane and hoist movement according to written, verbal, or signal instructions.
- Cleans and maintains crane and hoisting mechanism.
- Inspects crane for defective parts and notifies supervisor of defects or malfunctions.
- May attach load to hook or other crane accessory prior to operating crane and be designated Crane Operator-Hooker (steel & rel.) or Crane Operator-Hooktender (aircraft mfg.).
- May be designated by type of crane operated or material handled as Bridge Crane Operator (any industry); Charging-Crane Operator (foundry; steel & rel.) I; Cinder Crane Operator (foundry; steel & rel.) I; Gantry Crane Operator (any industry); Hot-Metal Crane Operator (foundry; nonfer. metal; steel & rel.) I; Ingot Stripper (steel & rel.) I; Scrap Crane Operator (steel & rel.) I; Tower Whirler Operator (any industry); Wall-Crane Operator (foundry).
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules, including wearing required personal safety equipment. Performs other duties and activities as required.
- Performing only those jobs on which they have been trained and/or authorized.
- Working in accordance with safe job practices and complying with company safety rules
- Using required personal protective equipment
- Reporting unsafe conditions or practices
- Making safety suggestions
- Serving on the safety committee if requested
- Cooperating during investigation of any accidents that occur
- Taking an active part and participating in safety meetings, pre-job safety briefings, task hazard analyses and Job Safety Analyses.
- May require a high school diploma or its equivalent and previous years of related experience.
- Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under minimum supervision.
- Typically reports to a supervisor.
NP=Not Present, O=Occasionally (0-33%), F=Frequently (34-66%), C=Constantly (67-100%)
StandingOWalkingOSittingFPushingOPullingOClimbingFBalancingOBending O StoopingFKneelingOCrouchingOCrawlingOReachingCHandlingCFingeringCFeelingCVision C Hearing CLifting (lbs)Carrying (lbs) <phone number removed>
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutionsfrom the wellhead to the storage tankto transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.