Job Overview: Raises, places and unites girders, columns and other structural steel members to form completed structures or structure framework, working as member of crew.Key Responsibilities/Accountabilities:
- Sets up hoisting equipment.
- Raises and places structural-steel members with basic rigging knowledge for raising and placing structural steel members.
- Fastens steel members to cable of hoist using chain, cable or rope.
- Signals worker operating hoisting equipment to lift and place steel members.
- Guides member, using tag line in order to guide it into position.
- Pulls, pushes or pries steel members into approximate position while member is supported by hoisting device.
- Forces members into final position, using turnbuckles, crowbars, jacks and hand tools.
- Aligns bolt holes in steel member using drift pins or spud wrenches.
- Verifies vertical and horizontal alignment of members using plumb bob and level.
- Bolts aligned members to keep them in position until they can be permanently bolted or welded in place.
- Cuts and welds steel members to make alterations using oxyacetylene welding equipment and supplies.
- Loads, transports, unloads material, tools, equipment and supplies.
- May assist in lifting, positioning and securing of materials and work pieces during installation.
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities of tools and equipment.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules, including wearing required personal safety equipment.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Craft certification or relevant certification with experience.
- Minimum of 6 months documented field experience at Helper 3 level in chosen craft discipline.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions and document, plan and perform work activities independently.
- The degree of job responsibilities and requirements may vary depending on months of experience.
- Can work within precise limits to standards of accuracy.
- Able to apply shop mathematics to solve problems.
- Can plan work and select proper tools.
- Able to compare and see differences in size, shape and form of lines, figures and objects.
- Ability to picture solid objects from drawings or diagrams.
- Ability to rate information using standards that can be measured or checked.
- Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
- Will rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to work under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.
Other Details:If applicable to the project, etc.Physical Requirements:NP=Not Present, O=Occasionally (0-33%), F=Frequently (34-66%), C=Constantly (67-100%)
StandingFWalkingOSittingOPushingFPullingFClimbingCBalancingCBendingStoopingKneelingOCrouchingOCrawlingOReachingCHandlingCFingeringCFeelingVisionHearingLifting (lbs)Carrying (lbs) <phone number removed> lb25-5050 lb
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutionsfrom the wellhead to the storage tankto transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.
Work environment: Normal work environment will be shop or field which will require exposure to outdoor weather conditions, loud noise, working near moving mechanical parts, electrical energy, construction equipment, vibration, fumes, chemicals and airborne particles.Communication Skills: Ability to effectively verbally communicate directions from craft supervisors, and respond to questions from managers and fellow workers.Mathematical skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.Physical demands: refer to Physical Demands section/manualOther: Must supply own tools appropriate for basic tasks