As a Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You’re part of a group of talented in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative — ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compass’s business and work with employees and agents across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven, and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
At Compass You Will:
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of routine and mission-critical commercial contracts (including professional services agreements, master services agreements, nondisclosure agreements, license agreements, and various technology hardware and software agreements) that support and enable our business operations
- Support the Compass Development team in drafting and negotiating complex new development marketing and sales agreements
- Identify and analyze legal issues and communicate sound, understandable legal and business recommendations to the various internal stakeholders you support
- Advise various business teams and partners on risk assessment, approval processes, Compass policies and procedures, and business strategy
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability (including contract automation, developing trainings, and creating contract templates and playbooks)
What We Look For:
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY bar a plus)
- 3+ years of top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department including experience negotiating and drafting commercial agreements
- Excellent analytical, consulting, drafting and negotiation skills with the ability to make well-reasoned legal and business judgments
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and an ability to clearly and simply explain complex ideas
- A creative thinker with strong problem solving skills and the ability to stay calm under pressure, work independently, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and effectively manage deliverables with time-sensitive deadlines
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with other attorneys and legal professionals
- A willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the team on an “as-needed” basis
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.