The Senior Patent Counsel will work on a wide variety of Intellectual Property matters within the Intellectual Property Department at Globus including: Product Clearance, Patent Filing & Prosecution, Patent Litigation, and Licensing / Due Diligence. This senior position will require working with and through product development, sales, marketing, finance, legal, and administrative groups. In addition, this individual will assist in planning, developing and implementing overall strategy for the IP department at Globus to meet agreed performance plans.
- Leadership: Create and execute strategic vision for Globus IP department including IP portfolio planning by area. Create and manage efficient processes for aggressive patent prosecution, clearances and other activities to assist Globus product development efforts.
- Product Clearance: Responsible for timely clearance opinions for product development personnel to ensure timely completion of projects. Working with engineers and managers in product development early on in the development process and providing advice to ensure that the design pathway is clear of existing competitive intellectual property.
- Patent Filing / Prosecution: Responsible for aggressive filing and prosecution of Globus patent portfolio to build significant intellectual property value from inventions. Also responsible for timely filing and approvals on trademarks and copyrights as required. The output of this group will be a steady increasing stream of issued patents and trademarks that will provide the foundation for having the best patent portfolio in the spinal industry.
- Patent Litigation: Assisting with pending and future litigations. Work with VP and outside counsel in managing all phases of ongoing litigation. Anticipate and prepare for future potential competitive litigation.
- Licensing: Assist in business development efforts of the company by providing input for the successful licensing or acquisition of intellectual property from surgeons, companies, and other entities.
- Due Diligence: Assist management in IP due diligence activities for M&A transactions.
- Adhere to the letter and spirit of the company Code of Conduct, the AdvaMed Code, MedTech Code, and all other company policies. Ensure Compliance with applicable governmental laws, rules, and regulations, both in the United States and internationally, by completing introductory and annual training and maintaining knowledge of compliance as it applies to your role.
- Represent the company in a professional manner and uphold the highest standards of ethical business practices and socially responsible conduct in all interactions with other employees, customers, suppliers, and other third parties of Globus.
- At least eight years of experience in product clearances, patent procurement and prosecution, and ancillary areas with growing responsibilities preferably in the medical device field. Litigation, litigation support, and licensing experience also desired.
- Experience in managing other attorneys and staff desired.
- Previous law firm and corporate in-house experience preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Multi-tasking abilities required for successful job completion.
- Well organized, detail oriented and a team player capable of working in a deadline dictated environment.
- Ability to adequately represent and reflect company philosophy as part of management team to customers, investors, regulatory agencies and industry peers.
- JD, with electrical engineering undergraduate/graduate degree preferred. However, experience with software, medical imaging, and electrical/electro-mechanical medical products with a different technical degree is acceptable as well.
- Must have passed at least one state bar and the Patent Bar.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally.
Globus Medical is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.