Job Description Summary
Are you an initiative taker? Do you have the passion to learn new subjects outside of your main area of expertise? Are you looking for a career within the legal field? If your answers are yes, we have the job for you!
We are seeking an attorney with a minimum of 0-6 years of experience in multi-state employment law issues. Transamerica offers the successful candidate an opportunity to work in a collaborative, practical, and friendly, yet challenging, legal department. This position will be based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Enjoy a low cost of living, plentiful outdoor activities, a resurgent dining scene, and the pace of a small city. Nearby University of Iowa provides Big 10 sporting events and university town amenities. Transamerica is a financial services company that gives its employees the ability to make a real difference in people’s lives.
What you will do
- Drafting and/or reviewing contracts or briefs such as: employment, litigation, or other company issues.
- Researching and monitoring legislative, administrative, and judicial actions affecting the company and advising departments concerned.
- Guarding against legal risks involving the company.
- Participating in legal actions for and against the company of a significant nature.
- Giving legal advice with respect to employment actions and policies.
- Retaining and directing outside counsel independently.
- Investigating and responding to demand letters and administrative charges.
- Occasional travel may be required.
What you Need
- JD degree required.
- Licensed or eligible to practice law in state of employment.
- 0-6 years of experience.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and oral, with the intended audience
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in a fast paced environment
- Ability to exercise agility and adaptability in providing legal advice
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing corporate environment
Proficient using MS Office
In-house experience. Multi-state employment law experience. Employee benefits familiarity.
Normal office environment.
Why Work for Us
Total Rewards at Transamerica: It’s more than a paycheck.
Our comprehensive Total Rewards package is designed to help support you in many ways — throughout all stages of your life and career. We provide a competitive, market-driven program that encompasses base compensation, bonus potential, retirement, health and wellness benefits, learning and development opportunities, plus great employee perks. All designed with you in mind… to help you live your best life, grow personally and professionally – and feel valued for the work you do.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Transamerica Life Insurance Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunities laws.
Applicants with physical or mental disabilities may be entitled to a form of reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state and local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will insure equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Transamerica Companies. Please contact: applicantsupporttransamerica.com if you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require assistance to apply for one of our jobs.
Our Company is committed to providing accessibility to those with disabilities in a manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity, that is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005 (“AODA”). Please contact applicantsupporttransamerica.com if you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require assistance to apply for one of our jobs.
If you experience technical problems during the application process, please email applicantsupporttransamerica.com.