West Creek 7 (12077), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager, Counsel – US Card Customer Resiliency
The Legal Department’s Regulatory Advisory Group is seeking TWO attorneys to provide legal support to US Card Customer Resiliency.
Role #1 will require oversight of outside collection counsel’s litigation portfolio, customer treatment, and business practices; provide advice to the Customer Resiliency business, including its template review process and Estates group, and management of legal specialists.
Role #2 will require oversight of outside collection counsel’s litigation portfolio, customer treatment, and business practices; provide advice to the Customer Resiliency business, including on Capital One’s various debt settlement strategies and management of legal specialists.
Both roles will review internal and external policies, procedures, collection materials, and litigation materials in order to assess compliance with consumer protection laws, current and developing regulatory expectations and Capital One policies. This position will entail regular interaction with outside counsel, Capital One business members, Legal Department subject matter experts, and senior line-of-business attorneys. The current recoveries environment in the United States is challenging, highly litigious, and evolving quickly. A lot is at stake and the rules are often vague. We are looking for an attorney who can make well-reasoned decisions in an ambiguous environment while keeping a level-head and sense of humor.
Job Responsibilities will include:
– Advising the business on federal, state and local laws and regulatory expectations
– Partnering with the business to mitigate regulatory and reputational risk
– Overseeing collection law firms acting on Capital One’s behalf, including managing multiple state collection litigation portfolios
– (role #1) Acting as business counsel to Capital One’s Estates recoveries group
– (role #1) Running Legal Recoveries’s template review process, which reviews Capital One’s third-parties’ collection communication templates for compliance with federal, state, and local law
– (role #2) Acting as business counsel to Capital One’s debt settlement strategies groups, including its pre-charge off Third Party Debt Management and post-charge off Debt Settlement Company groups
– Drafting, interpreting, applying, and enforcing internal policies and procedures
– Becoming an expert in federal and state collection and consumer protection laws and regulatory expectations
– Analyzing new and emerging debt collection laws and regulations and advising on adherence
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
– Commercial litigation experience, preferably including financial services
– Ability to support business partners and effectively identify risks and mitigation options
– Ability to oversee and provide direction to outside counsel
– Ability to advise in ambiguous circumstances
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Excellent analytical and organizational skills
– Ability to manage large volume of work, including complex legal issues that may arise suddenly
– Ability to prioritize a significant volume of projects and requests with multiple, simultaneous deadlines
– Ability and willingness to work as a team player, with comfort interacting with associates across departments and job levels
– Ability to make effective, integrated decisions; and to collaborate effectively with associates at all levels in the company
– Ability to work in a fast-paced, ambiguous, fluid environment with minimal supervision
– Juris Doctorate (JD) with admission to at least one state bar
– At least 5 years of commercial litigation or regulatory law firm experience OR at least 5 years financial services regulatory government experience
-Knowledge of, and proficiency with, financial and consumer protection laws (e.g., FDCPA, FCRA, UDAAP, and state debt collection laws)
-Complex commercial litigation experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodationcapitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to Careerscapitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).