The VP General Counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. The VP General Counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel, as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Works with ethics, honesty, values and integrity. Provides a position of professionalism to others.
• Provides expert and strategic legal advice to executive, senior management and board on various matters such as legal rights, as well as new and existing laws.
• Manages the Company’s legal matters.
• Maintains knowledge of the Company’s operations and legal documents.
• Conducts legal research and reviews the Company’s litigation strategy pertaining to legal actions.
• Promulgates and creates directives of corporate acts and decisions.
• Preserves all corporate records.
• Liaises with outside counsel regarding their assignments.
• Provides counsel and representation in areas such as torts, administrative proceedings, public records, contracts, and more.
• Oversees the development and implementation of policies, procedures, strategic plans, systems and related initiatives consistent with the attorney-client relationship and operational standards.
• Develops and implements short-term and long-term goals and plans to improve the efficiency and efficacy of the legal representation of the Company.
• Reviews and analyzes complex written documents.
• Obtains and presents material in oral and/or written form.
• Completes all safety and equipment related trainings required on a monthly basis.
• Any other duty, responsibility or task as assigned by the supervisor.
Loyal: Shows firm and constant support to a cause
Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Thought Provoking: Capable of making others think deeply on a subject
Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Proven legal experience in business environment.
Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, labor law, etc.).
Well-versed in how businesses operate with financial acumen.
Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas.
Excellent time management, organizational and communication skills.
Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, customer driven environment while producing quality work.
Ability to make responsible decisions quickly, dependable and demonstrate self-responsibility.
Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, customers, clients and management.
Master of Studies in Law or J.D. degree; MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an asset.
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.