Each Associate General Counsel is an integral member of the Pacific Seafood Group Legal team and supports the department’s core missions of providing legal, compliance, and risk management support to the entire company.
The Associate General Counsel – Corporate Transactions & Governance will provide direct support in all corporate and transactional matters affecting Pacific Seafood’s diverse business interests, with particular focus in areas like commercial contracting, real estate, mergers & acquisitions, corporate governance, subsidiary management, and corporate compliance.
The ideal candidate will be a creative business attorney capable of partnering with diverse business teams to help solve strategic problems. The position will entail a high degree of interaction with various stakeholders throughout the company to understand business objectives and deliver high-quality legal services that accomplish defined goals as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts related to a broad array of business operations including (for example) sourcing, supply chain, procurement, managed services, human resources, consulting, construction, joint ventures, and real estate
- Forming, maintaining, and dissolving corporate entities
- Drafting entity formation and other organizational documents, including articles of incorporation, assumed business name registrations, annual reports, and other similar documents
- Drafting and maintaining official corporate filings, documents, reports, and records as required by applicable law and/or Pacific Seafood record retention policies
- Developing and implementing contract processes, forms, operations, and databases to improve efficiencies
- Improving and creating contact templates and negotiation playbooks
- Participating in due diligence review for proposed mergers and acquisitions
- Supporting successful integration of newly acquired business operations
- Providing advice and counsel to business clients on wide array of business and legal issues while coordinating with other legal team members and stakeholders as necessary.
- Developing and implementing training and education programs to train internal business stakeholders to make better, more informed business decisions
- Conducting legal research, analysis and benchmarking to support Legal requirements
- Develop and implement compliance programs, policies and training as needed based on legal and regulatory requirements, industry standards, and best practices.
- Drive awareness regarding the importance of compliance, identify areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and undertake corrective plans to resolve issues.
- Partner with Legal team and other stakeholders to drive strategic initiatives.
- Support new or special projects consistent with the evolving needs of the business.
- Represent Legal Department in various company-wide initiatives
- Balance multiple projects while remaining high organized.
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Seafood Group Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Excellence and Teamwork) at all times.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to successfully perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- J.D. from an A.B.A. accredited law school.
- Minimum 3-6 years relevant transactional legal experience, preferably in a corporate legal department or law firm that handles a wide variety of business transactions
- Experience with one or more of the following: Government/Regulations; Insurance Coverage; Secured Transactions; Employment; Mergers & Acquisitions
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
Member in good standing with the Oregon State Bar.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Broad based understanding of general business practices
- Skilled and experienced with drafting and negotiating complex contracts and documents.
- Excellent judgment and the highest level of personal integrity.
- Ability to work in teams collaboratively with stakeholders and gain consensus.
- Creative problem solver who is able to deliver clear, strategic advice to clients in a timely manner.
- Task-oriented with excellent sense of prioritization.
- Self-starter who is resourceful and can work effectively both independently as well as in teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; great team player.
- Deadline driven and able to work effectively under pressure.
- Experienced project manager; able to solve complex initiatives from start to finish.
- Highly responsive and service-oriented with excellent legal and business judgment
- Strong bias for action and strategic thinking
- Well-developed analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Enthusiastic/outgoing and willing to engage with a wide variety of internal stakeholders and external government and industry personnel.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
At Pacific Seafood, your base wage is only a portion of your overall compensation package. When you add in the additional benefits below to your competitive base wage you can increase your total compensation by up to 25%.
- Health insurance benefits options, including medical, prescription, vision, dental, basic group life and short term disability.
- Flexible spending accounts for health flex and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) Retirement Plan options with generous annual company profit sharing match
- Paid time off for all regular FT team members, to include paid sick, vacation and personal time
- Employee Assistance Program- Confidential professional counseling, financial, and legal assistance provided at no charge to Team Members and immediate family members
- Product purchase program