Job ID 19000B6Q
Available Openings 1
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Associate General Counsel Global IP has the legal responsibility for supporting intellectual property matters of Fresenius Medical Care under supervision of SVP, Global Intellectual Property. The incumbent is responsible for preparation and supervision of original patent applications, patent prosecutions, non-infringement/freedom to operate opinions, interaction with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct, maintain, manage and protect the intellectual property portfolio of Fresenius Medical Care while ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures and applicable government regulations.
Responsible for all items and functions pertinent to:
- Preparation of 10-12 Patent applications or equivalents per year
- Non-infringement and freedom to operate opinions as directed
- Prepare Intellectual Property licenses and other IP related agreements as required.
- Coordinate closely with product research and development personnel and facilities in all U.S. subsidiaries and with patent department(s) at related foreign affiliates to ensure the appropriate documentation, processes and procedures are followed.
- Review intellectual property portfolios of competitors and develop intellectual property strategies to maximize and protect the Company’s competitive position.
- Direct the work activities of those law department personnel employed to assist in the above legal duties and responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- May be responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of legal staff.
- Technical degree – Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, electronics with a software background preferred.
- Juris Doctor Degree, member of a state bar, member of US patent bar (Registered at US Patent and Trademark office).
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 10+ years’ related experience.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Manager.
- Strong management skills with the ability to lead cohesive and productive teams.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations, executive orders, precedents, and legal codes.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written – must be articulate and a good listener.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of management through diplomacy and tact.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity