Who We Are:
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. With more than 25,000 employees, USC is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. The university is comprised of twenty-one different schools and academic units that serve more than 45,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) provides legal services to USC and its subsidiaries and certain affiliates. The mission of the Office of the General Counsel is to assist USC through its various schools and departments with legal issues and transactions, to educate USC’s administrators and faculty with regard to the laws applicable to USC’s operations, to defend the university against litigation, to provide advice to assist the university administration and faculty to pursue their objectives and goals, with an overall objective of protecting USC from liability. The OGC is responsible for addressing all of the legal issues arising out of the activities of USC, its various schools and departments, and Keck Medicine of USC.
University Counsel, Real Estate and Corporate Governance
This position serves as a real estate and corporate governance attorney in the OGC, and will assist the Deputy General Counsel, Corporate. This position will provide legal counsel matters related to real estate, and corporate governance.
- Provides counsel and advice on a broad range of transactions, including leasing, purchase, sale, and development of real estate and corporate governance.
- Prepares and reviews proposed leases, contracts, and other legal instruments to safeguard the university’s interests in areas such as real estate, construction, and corporate compliance.
- Assists with the preparation and maintenance of all corporate records for the university’s Board of Trustees, committees, and subsidiaries consistent with relevant bylaws and California law. Recommends, creates, and revises bylaws, articles, and policies of the Board, and prepares corporate resolutions, minutes and disclosures, as appropriate. Updates and monitors the university’s signature delegation policy and procedures.
- Collaborates or cooperates with outside legal counsel on various legal matters.
- Establish a rapport and working relationship with employees at all levels in order to act as a trusted advisor and encourage the proactive use of in-house legal counsel as a preventative measure.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Deputy General Counsel, Corporate or his or her designee.
- Minimum Education: Juris Doctorate
- Minimum Experience: 3 years practicing real estate law (including acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, and development), preferably in a law firm setting.
- Minimum Field of Expertise: J.D. and member of California Bar in good standing.
- Corporate governance.
- Familiarity with data privacy.
Minimum Education: J.D.
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: J.D. and member of California Bar/general business law with civil litigation and employment law
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at uschrusc.edu. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: