With a mission to fundamentally transform U.S. healthcare, Collective Health is the ideal workplace for a self-starting, team-oriented attorney who wants to make a major impact and assume meaningful responsibilities at a fast-growing technology company. We seek a creative, business-minded attorney to become our Senior Commercial Counsel and to act as the senior lawyer overseeing day to day commercial needs. Besides helping drive commercial strategy, you will advise on regulatory and SaaS product matters. As a member of our legal team, you’ll help address the company’s—and the industry’s—most complex and novel legal challenges as you help us build a world-class healthcare technology company.
In this role you will:
- Manage a team, helping them to grow their skills, develop their careers, and prioritize and address the Company’s scaling commercial needs.
- Draft, define, review, and negotiate inbound, outbound, and partnership commercial agreements, including client contracts, marketing agreements, master services agreements with key partners, vendor and SaaS agreements, data security/confidentiality agreements, and business associate agreements—both from templates and from scratch.
- Act as a thought partner to internal business partners on commercial strategy across the company.
- Identify and mitigate gaps in knowledge, tools, resources, and policies to fulfill the Company’s commercial needs.
- Assist the Chief Legal Officer in managing the Company’s corporate affairs, including financings, Board resolutions, corporate governance, and shareholder matters.
- Assist with counseling product and operations teams on issues including compliance with laws applicable to health plans, privacy, marketing, and intellectual property matters.
- Collaborate with internal and external experts to ensure that commercial agreements appropriately manage risk and comply with policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Guide operations and product teams on service level agreements and new and existing business arrangements.
- Troubleshoot commercial and corporate issues, agilely devising workable solutions to support the business and to improve legal forms, processes, and procedures.
- Educate and train internal business teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications, legal risks etc.
- Hold a seat at the table as a trusted, proactive business partner to leadership at all levels.
If most of the following apply to you, we’d love to talk:
- A J.D., with a current license to practice in California (either CA or Rule 965 admitted)
- 10 or more years of relevant legal practice.
- Exceptional, demonstrated judgment and teamwork.
- Experience in managing, developing, and scaling a team.
- Experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating complex corporate and commercial transactions, and in counseling clients across an enterprise. B2B and B2C experience valued.
- Experience with HIPAA, ERISA, andor regulated industries strongly favored.
- Comfortable handling privacy and data protection topics in the commercial context.
- Exceptional client communication skills.
- Excellent judgment, including consistent ability to make thoughtful, difficult calls, weigh all factors of a decision (keeping the big picture in mind while considering the details), and communicating those effectively to business clients.
- Talent for building trusted relationships and for balancing different points of view.
- Entrepreneurial attitude with ability to handle competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Comfortable with and passionate about emerging technologies and the issues they may present.
- A champion for legal operations and process improvements, able to use and identify the need for project management and legal automation tools and related project/process management skills.
- Your work colleagues describe you as: An outstanding manager and leader, well organized, disciplined, collaborative, a strong relationship builder, a self-starter, an execution machine, thoughtful and practical, reliable, entrepreneurial, strategic, curious, technology savvy, passionate about making a difference, a joy to work with, not hierarchical, someone they admire, an excellent communicator, ethical and trustworthy, someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, an outstanding decision maker, a strong relationship builder, team-oriented, and comfortable devising and refining strategies, forms, and processes as a business scales.