Provides full or specialized legal services to one or more areas supported often dealing with highly complex or specialized matters. Has ongoing relationship and accountability for assigned legal matters. Is a recognized legal expert in specialized areas. Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of the highest level of difficulty with complex facts that are in question for which considerable legal judgment, experience and independent reasoning are required. Handles cases with insured exposure in excess of $100,000 and may include extra contractual damages. This is a trial attorney.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
Handles highly complex or specialized insurance defense or coverage matters from pleadings through trial driving for superior results. Manages preparation litigation preparation. Develops the litigation strategy, and prepares/directs the preparation of all necessary materials i.e., briefs, motions, discovery, depositions, experts, etc. Advises whether a case should be tried or settled and actively drives case to resolution with an appropriate sense of urgency.
Handles high complexity or exposure bench and jury trials as first chair in both state and federal court as necessary. Tries all aspects of cases including court appearances, trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations. May provide trial coaching/oversight/ assistance to other attorneys.
Communicates regularly and concisely with clients, claim professionals, leadership and others to ensure appropriate level of understanding and documentation exists for effective case management.
Conducts legal research and analysis of facts and information to provide counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
Prepares opinions or position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of legal issues/provisions.
Counsels client/management/claim professionals to avoid legally unsound decisions or plans and when changes in the law occur.
May supervise, train, or mentor other attorneys and paralegals. Trains department staff on appropriate procedures (e.g., claims, etc).
Collaboratively works with clients, claim professionals, underwriting, risk control and other 3rd parties while resolving legal issues.
Works independently in resolving legal cases with minimal supervision.
Responds to government regulatory agencies as needed.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Senior level advanced knowledge of the law as well as legal theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve desired results.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
4. Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners,
5. Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
6. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
7. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
8. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software ie Adobe, West Law, TeamConnect or other case management software.
9. Value driven to provide superior solutions to internal and/or external clients.
10. Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the client/organization.
11. Helps self and others to excel through collaboration and building strong relationships.
12. Thinks creatively and uses diverse ideas to solve problems.
13. Raises expectations of self and others by continuously learning and broadening industry and technical skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree with JD, and admission to the bar of at least one state. May require specific state license.
2. Typically requires a minimum of ten years of experience in claims and/or law firm with a progressively increasing level of responsibility. Requires trial and/or litigation experience. Requires a proven track record of results.
3. May require specific technical/functional area legal experience.
United States-Florida-Lake Mary
CLAIM USSPL (US Spec Lines)
May 28, 2019