The mid-level Senior Counsel will team with more experienced attorneys to provide analysis and advice on legal and policy issues; anticipate and guard against legal risks facing the company; develop and recommend policy and position on legal issues; keep the company and/or business units compliant by anticipating and helping to circumvent problems; counsel clients and keep them up to date on new business laws and regulations; provide advice on suits against the corporation; ensure that all standard operating procedures are current, accurate and complete and are being audited at least annually; and develop appropriate legal policies, procedures and guidelines.
The mid-level Senior Counsel will
• Assist in the management of a large portfolio of complex Product Liability litigations and some other litigation as assigned (Employment, commercial, consumer fraud or other)
• Assist in the coordination of outside national and local counsel in management of cases
• Work with company management and other personnel in support of litigation
• Review and advise operating companies on sensitive labeling, marketing, and liability issues and providing related training
• Participate in external activities relating to product liability and litigation such as IADC, DRI, ATRA, and PLAC.
• A Juris Doctor Degree and admission to and in good standing with at least one state bar is required.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in defense of complex litigation is required.
• Experience handling aspects of pre-trial case preparation and management including discovery, witness preparation, writing and review of major briefs, selection and preparation of experts is required.
• Must be articulate and a collaborative manager and colleague.
• Must have very good judgment to assist in running the cases and managing outside Counsel.
• Approximately 30% travel, globally and domestically, is required.
• Pharmaceutical and medical device product liability experience is preferred.
• Experience in large scale mass tort type matters, particularly MDLs and state coordinated proceedings is preferred.
• In-house experience with a pharmaceutical or medical device company is an asset.
• Trial experience is an asset.