WHO’S IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Apron is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded and self-motivated transactional attorney with 3-5 years of proven complex corporate and commercial contracts experience gained at a leading law firm and in-house at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company to join its growing Legal team; business development, Internet marketing, advertising, social media, IP, privacy/security and regulatory experience a strong plus. In this position, the successful candidate will interface with members of the company’s executive and business teams to manage, negotiate and execute on a broad range of commercial initiatives and the organization’s day-to-day operational needs and strategic priorities.
This position reports directly to the Assistant General Counsel and is based in the company’s corporate headquarters in Flatiron, New York City.
WHAT’S ON THE MENU
This position’s principal responsibilities and duties will include:
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including marketing, technology, licensing, business development, procurement, HR, master services, confidentiality and other commercial agreements, and supporting the Legal team’s negotiation of applicable privacy, data security and IP provisions in commercial agreements.
- Assisting the Legal team with the execution of strategic transactions and new business initiatives.
- Leading or assisting the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of forms,
processes and procedures.
- Providing advice and counsel to business team leaders on all legal matters affecting the candidate’s areas of coverage, in consultation with other members of the Legal team and outside counsel, as necessary.
- Building close relationships with personnel at supported business operations and obtain and maintain a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations.
- Managing outside counsel in the candidate’s areas of coverage.
- Developing and conducting periodic employee trainings on relevant matters.
- Engaging in or leading various other Legal projects and duties, including data privacy, compliance and public policy matters.
- Providing substantive support for the rest of the Legal team on an as-needed basis.
Education and Experience
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials and at least 3-5 years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years at a leading law firm.
- In-house experience at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company strongly preferred.
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar.
Interpersonal Skills and Competencies
The successful candidate must:
- Be passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, mission-driven company.
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches his or her IQ, and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills.
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills.
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs.
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment.
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team and with internal clients.
- Be comfortable simultaneously managing workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment.
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results.