VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 24,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning, and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate, and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
Come Work with the VMware Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance Team
VMware’s Legal Department is a global team of dedicated legal, compliance, and government relations professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of VMware’s fast-growing business.
The Legal Department’s Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance (“LECRC”) Team is seeking an Associate Litigation Counsel to join this global, high-caliber organization.
About the LECRC Team
The VMware LECRC Team is a global team that focuses on identifying and managing risks and threats, providing practical legal guidance to our clients, and defending the Company against claims anywhere across the globe. Our team practices a collaborative, creative, practical, and results-oriented approach to providing legal advice. If you are looking to join an energetic team where you can be a team builder and a standout colleague, then you have found the place.
VMware has an opening for an Associate Litigation Counsel. This position will be located in VMware’s headquarters in Palo Alto. A qualified candidate for this position will excel in four areas: (a) as a strong individual contributor on litigation and dispute resolution; (b) as an organized and detail-oriented litigator and practical thinker; (c) as an outside counsel manager; and (d) as a driver of good business process and ethical practices within the Company. Candidates should also be able to evaluate and balance the needs and priorities of the business when making strategic decisions in litigation.
- Oversee and support all aspects of assigned litigation matters (with an emphasis on IP litigation matters), subpoenas, and other disputes, including pre-litigation counseling, fact investigation, discovery, motions practice, and dispute resolution in numerous jurisdictions across the country and around the world
- Collaborate closely with the Litigation Team on matter strategy and other key decisions throughout the litigation process
- Provide practical and strategic advice and counseling to internal clients to help resolve disputes while balancing risk and business objectives
- Build and maintain a positive relationship with internal clients who become involved in litigation and other disputes
- Provide guidance to and work closely with the eDiscovery Team on eDiscovery issues
- Provide advice to the M&A team relating to litigation aspects of potential transactions
- Collaborate with internal team members and outside counsel to efficiently manage disputes and all aspects of outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation strategy, discovery, briefing, and budgets
- Develop and implement initiatives for reducing outside counsel spend
- Operate effectively and cost-efficiently, remaining mindful of budget requirements and limitations
- JD from an accredited law school, strong academic record, and bar admission are required (California bar admission strongly preferred)
- 2-5 years of experience with litigation required with preference for IP litigation experience; trial team experience required; experience working with or in high tech industry preferred; experience in AmLaw 100 law firm preferred
- Must be effective at working with others in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of concurrent projects
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, personable, strong interpersonal skills, and an upbeat, “can do” attitude
- Ability to interface effectively within all levels of the organization and to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues, business leaders, and executives
- Excellent legal and business judgment, high standards, and impeccable integrity
- Ability to think strategically and to give practical legal advice in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty
- Proficient at reducing large amounts of information to a critical few important themes/issues and clearly communicating these to senior management
- Creative, practical, entrepreneurial, and pragmatic
- Travel may be required from time-to-time
H1B sponsorship is not available for this position
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.