About the Job:
As Corporate Counsel, you will have an immediate impact on key aspects of Rent the Runway’s innovative business. You will partner directly with business and product teams across the company to give advice on a broad range of legal issues, including commercial transactions, privacy, and intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on product and regulatory counseling and employment issues. You will field matters of first impression at the intersection of fashion and technology that demand creative, practical lawyering. If you like challenging old systems and want to create the future of fashion retail, then we want to hear from you. This role reports to the Senior Corporate Counsel.
- Serve as the lead attorney and advisor for Rent the Runway’s product initiatives. Advise internal teams, including marketing and product, on how the company can work within the law to launch innovative products and initiatives.
- Analyze products and features built by Rent the Runway’s talented engineering and product teams and advise such teams with the ability to balance commercial, marketing, compliance and privacy concerns.
- Design training programs for various business teams, including HR, Product, Engineering, Marketing and Content.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial and intellectual property agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships critical to the company.
- Advise on advertising and marketing matters, including handling regulatory issues regarding digital media and reviewing and clearing marketing content for publication.
- Create scalable processes for triaging a high volume of disparate legal issues from all areas of the business.
You Should Have:
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience with legal issues related to engineering, marketing and product development for tech and e-commerce companies.
- Strong commercial negotiation and drafting skills.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear guidance for non-lawyers.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.