What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It’s our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Markel Corporation, a Fortune 500 Insurance Holding Company, has an exciting opportunity within Surety for a Court/Probate Bond Claims Attorney in Los Angeles, CA. Under immediate supervision, the Claims Attorney will determine the validity of simple to moderately complex bond claims. This position will report to the Vice President, Court/Probate Bond Attorney, in Los Angeles, CA.
The Claims Attorney is responsible for accomplishing the following as guided by others. These assignments are varied in nature.
- Analyze legal pleadings, documents, and applicable statutes and case-law to determine validity of bond claims.
- Communicate with agents, principals, claimants, underwriters and other attorneys both orally and in writing concerning claim, legal and regulatory matters
- Prepare and send claim status correspondence to affected parties using mail, fax, or other electronic means. Maintain claim files. Update files as needed.
- Monitor probate matters nationwide that may turn into Claims
- Attend court hearings including mediations, settlement conferences, and trials.
- Perform legal research and other miscellaneous legal matters.
- Evaluate and minimize company risk of loss; Analyze subrogation efforts.
- Meet commitments on deadlines.
- Communicate activities and results with employees and management as appropriate.
- Perform work thoroughly and at a high productivity level.
- Comply with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Assist with Court Underwriting as needed including revising bond forms, account control agreements, securing collateral, preparing deeds of trust, lis pendens, release of lis pendens, and instructions to escrow
- Assists with the release of collateral for Court bonds
- Juris Doctor Degree and California State Bar Admission required
- Texas Adjuster License preferred
- At least 3-5 years of law firm experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook; Internet Explorer
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Team player that works well in a collaborative environment
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.