The Wine Group is one of the leaders in the wine industry. As a privately held, management-owned company with 12 wineries in California, New York, and Australia, we strive to win with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands including Franzia, Almaden, Cupcake, Chloe, Flip Flop, 7 Deadly Zins, Ava Grace, Concannon, Benziger and Imagery. We are a successful company looking to employ talented individuals on our team who are self-motivated, positive and energetic. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply!
Do you like wine? Then come join The Wine Group, one of the world’s largest international manufacturers and distributors of alcoholic beverage products, with vineyards, wineries and production operations throughout California, as well as in New York and Australia. We are expanding our Legal Department and seek an engaging, experienced attorney with at least 6 years of legal experience to work on a variety of legal and regulatory matters. This is a temporary role with the opportunity to expand into a full-time position in the future.
- Independently review, draft and negotiate contracts primarily from our Marketing department, some from our Sales department and potentially our Hospitality group.
- Work with the other members of the Legal department to align on best practices and then develop and deliver training to our internal clients to teach those best practices;
- Collaborate with internal clients on compliance with company policies regarding social media policy and alcohol compliance
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends that could affect the company and proactively identify company risks and cost-conscious mitigating actions; and
- Perform your work at one of The Wine Group’s wineries or offices daily.
- Be well versed with respect to business and contract advice and best practices as determined by the Legal department;
- Act as the primary legal liaison for the Marketing, Sales and Hospitality departments
- In connection with the company’s Compliance department, research and provide legal advice on diverse and complex federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations that affect the manufacturing, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverage products both domestically and internationally;
This job description reflects management’s assignment of general functions; it does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- JD (or equivalent) from a top ranked law school required;
- 6+ years of experience as a licensed attorney at a top-tier law firm required;
- Must be a current, “Active” member in good standing of the California Bar;
- Extensive experience drafting complex, strategic transactions and independently leading contract negotiations required;
- Experience advising clients on and managing numerous transactions on tight deadlines with minimal, if any, supervision required;
- Extensive expertise negotiating representations, warranties, covenants, indemnification and limitation of liability provisions in contracts required;
- Tremendous attention to detail required;
- Knowledge of alcohol beverage laws and regulations preferred, but not required;
- Able to read, fully comprehend, and implement requirements of laws, regulations, and technical documents independently;
- Highly skilled in communicating effectively in writing and verbally, as well as in presenting to groups in a compelling, persuasive and entertaining manner;
- Willing and able to effectively and efficiently manage numerous high-priority matters simultaneously, and work extended hours when needed;
- Skilled in the use of MS Word, Excel, Acrobat DC, and PowerPoint at least at an intermediate level;
- Primary work will take place in an office environment; however, employee must be able to travel to and traverse The Wine Group’s vineyards, wineries and other facilities from time to time.
The Wine Group is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.