The Law Department is recruiting for a Senior Patent Counsel, to primarily support the consumer sector of Johnson & Johnson. The position will report to an Assistant General Counsel – Patents. The position will be located in New Brunswick, NJ, Skillman, NJ or Fort Washington, PA.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science — bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
As a Senior Patent Counsel, you will:
- Provide a full range of patent support functions, including patent preparation and prosecution, freedom-to-operate studies (e.g., infringement and validity analysis), and client counseling.
- Draft and negotiate agreements, including license and research collaboration agreements.
- Provide due diligence support for business development activities.
- Have in-depth knowledge of competitive technologies in the consumer product space, as appropriate, including: skin health products, baby products, oral care products, wound care products, and over-the-counter (OTC) products.
- Support US and international litigation.
- Manage relationships with external firms, partners and/or outside counsel.
- Make regular presentations, train and interact with business partners about patents, other intellectual property, contracts, and due diligence matters.
- Work closely with business leaders and colleagues.
- An undergraduate or advanced degree in medical sciences, chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, bioengineering, pharmaceutical sciences, or biotechnology is required.
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school, admitted to the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of law firm and/or corporate law department experience is required.
- Patent preparation and prosecution experience is required.
- Conducting patentability and non-infringement studies and rendering opinions is required.
- Experience in due diligence activities, license/agreement drafting, and contract negotiation is preferred.
- Background in consumer skin health, oral health, and/or OTC products is preferred.
- Experience with digital health technology is preferred (e.g., software, big data, data analytics, artificial intelligence and/or mobile device health applications).
- A demonstrated competency in the chemical, medical, biomedical, bioengineering or pharmaceutical sciences is required.
- The ability to articulate and positively engage clients and internal partners is required.
- The ability to give well organized and thoughtful presentations to upper management is required.
- A positive attitude, high emotional intelligence and the ability to work in a highly matrixed but rewarding business environment is required.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally.