Who we are
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 277 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
When applying for a job you are required to create an account, if you have already created account – click Sign In.
Creating an account will allow you to follow the progress of your applications.
Provide full legal first Name/Family Name
- DO: Capitalize first letter of First and Last Name. Example: John Smith
- DON’T: Capitalize entire First and/or Last Name. Example: JOHN SMITH
NOTE: Use correct grammar for Names with multiple cases. Example: McDonald or O’Connell
Provide full address details
Resume is required
Multiple attachments can be uploaded including Resume and Cover Letter for each application
Job Description Summary:
PayPal’s Intellectual Property Legal team is seeking to add even more experienced, highly engaged and dynamic patent strategy and trade secrets counselors who have experience enhancing highly strategic and targeted IP protection efforts with a litigation mindset.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Leverage deep knowledge of PayPal’s technology landscape, and the Internet, software and fintech markets to improve patent claim quality and applicability in a hands-on manner;
- Hands-on, proactive, strategic mining of patent claims crafted on specific technology features of third parties;
- Utilize deep understanding of defensive and offensive patent utilization strategies to prepare evidence of use and infringement charts in a hands-on manner;
- Contribute to an existing prosecution docket, with an emphasis on continuations and patent mining; and
- Sound decision making experience to pursue IP protection as a patent or as trade secret.
- Effectively implement trade secret policies and practices.
- Experience protecting technology innovation utilizing patents and trade secrets;
- Deep understanding of defensive and offensive patent utilization strategies;
- Deep knowledge of Internet, payments, fintech and software technologies relevant to PayPal’s business ecosystem, whether from previous legal or technical experience;
- Excellent patent analysis abilities, including development of non-infringement/infringement, invalidity/validity and deep hands-on understanding of claim construction considerations;
- Deep focus on preparing claim charts for prosecution of continuation claim sets and to establish evidence of use assessments;
- Self-direction, initiative and ownership to drive projects to completion in hands-on manner;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to foster trust and respect and to create friendly and collaborative internal working relationships with internal clients;
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task and keep everything going smoothly without dropping any balls;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentations to senior business, technology and legal personnel;
- Openness and willingness to learn;
- Business acumen; and
- Some travel.
- Member of at least one state bar.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or the equivalent.
- 5 years of combined experience in patent and trade secrets protection, and IP litigation.
- U.S.P.T.O membership preferred, but not required.
- Some prosecution experience preferred, but not required.
San Jose, California, United States of America
Juris Doctorate or Equivalent
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
Paypal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.