The Customer Service Representative serves as the primary customer interface for issues involving the tactical movement of cargo. This includes providing status updates, customs clearance information, cashier and documentation clearances for inbound cargo and processing bookings for export shipments. The primary interface with internal and external customers is via telephone; however some email communication is required, necessitating the need for both verbal and written communication skills. The CSR works in a team environment, handling issues for customers in the United States and Canada.
1. Provide rate information to customers accurately and timely. This involves complex tariff lookup while customer is on the phone, and requesting bookings from customer or communicating customer rate quote activity to appropriate internal functions.
2. Assist customers in tariff interpretation. Includes ability to navigate through various tariffs’ rules and footnotes and apply to commodity look-up.
3. Answer customer and trucker shipment availability inquiries.
4. When customer calls to make a booking, follow process to meet customer’s booking needs. This includes confirming space and equipment capacity, applicable rate as well as a summation of the order in the format of the customer’s choice.
5. Assist customers in changing the status of their bookings/shipments, including canceling, rolling, advancing, splitting, consolidating, diverting or returning.
6. Accountable for answering inquiries about holds (regulatory and internal) and advising customers of actions that need to be taken to facilitate cargo availability.
7. Provide accurate information to customers by reviewing and interpreting systems generated data as well as taking into account other sources of information that may be relevant to the customer inquiry.
8. Answer customer inquiries about freight charges as well as payment status.
9. Answer customer inquiries about container free time and associated charges. May include creating and sending invoice as part of customer transaction.
10. Capture sales leads that come up during customer transactions per defined processes.
11. Capture customer dissatisfaction; this includes taking ownership and resolving if appropriate.
12. Identify problems that come up during customer interaction and bring them to resolution per defined processes.
13. Identify data, service or customer information integrity issues and take action to resolve.
14. Actively participate in company initiatives to plan and implement ideas and suggestions that benefit APL.
1. High school degree or equivalent required.
2. 2+ years of previous customer service experience required.
3. Typing 35 wpm (proficiency to be tested).
4. Must possess excellent performance skills in the following areas:
Commitment to task
Tolerance of ambiguity