The Associate General Counsel will assist the SVP & General Counsel in managing all legal matters pertaining to Terumo Medical Corporation (TMC) and affiliated entities, including product liability litigation defense coordination, contracting, employment law, unfair trade practices, anti-trust, corporate governance and the coordination of legal matters handled by outside counsel. Will provide legal advice to TMC management, negotiate corporate transactions, and prepare related documentation. In all legal matters, Associate General Counsel will provide strong leadership, guidance and pragmatic business acumen, recognizing the business consequences of legal advice. Associate General Counsel is a strategic and innovative thinker who can develop and articulate a clear understanding of the company’s strategy from all perspectives and find creative solutions to complex legal problems.
- Provide expert legal services and counsel to the business with high degree of independence.
- Includes strategic legal counseling, contract negotiations and drafting, and management of the Company’s Corporate Compliance Program.
- Independently applies legal principles and judgment to develop legal strategies and provide expert advice on highly complex legal issues, including those that may have a significant financial impact, or which may have implications for TMC’s strategic goals, and those that involve the TMC’s strategic business partners.
- Provide leadership and direction to legal team.
- Identifies the need for, initiates and directs implementation of legal policies.
- Prepares, drafts, reviews, negotiates and modifies a wide variety of commercial contracts and other documents with legal significance including but not limited to clinical trial agreements and physician proctoring and training programs.
- Will be responsible for handling legal research and advice on projects that impact TMC which may be global in nature.
- Manages the selection, work direction and expenditures of outside counsel.
- Maintain compliance with all TMC Quality System requirements by maintaining a strong working knowledge of assigned training requirements. Fully adhere to all applicable government regulations, international guidelines and Terumo’s policies at all times.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Expert legal document drafting and research skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with associates at all levels in all businesses across North America and ability to quickly establish trust and rapport.
- Ability to work collaboratively with business clients and proactively become involved in business initiatives.
- Proactive, flexible, responsive and resourceful.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and effectively, with ability to listen carefully, question and input effectively when evaluating legal and compliance issues
- Self-starter, skilled at working independently and leading critical matters to conclusion with little supervision, while coordinating with other attorneys and administrative staff.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly establish trust and rapport with other associates.
- Strong leadership skills to manage projects and influence decisions, with ability to be persuasive in reinforcing the best interests of the company,
- Understands business implications of decisions and knowledge of market and competition.
- Efficient at handling and prioritizing multiple projects in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment.
- Requires strong organizational, analytical, interpersonal and time management skills.
- Background Experiences
- Requires Juris Doctor from an accredited law school. Must be a member of the bar in good standing; admission to New Jersey state bar preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum of 15 years of legal experience in a relevant law firm or corporate setting.
- Medical device, pharmaceutical or other healthcare-related experience is highly desirable; international business exposure is highly preferred.
- Experience advising senior level executives highly desirable.