IP attorneys at Biogen provide legal advice and counseling related to patents and other intellectual property pertaining to Biogen’s business of discovering, acquiring, developing, and commercializing innovative therapeutics.
Legal & Compliance
Our IP attorneys must be adept at interacting with and advising both business executives and scientists. They consistently collaborate with Biogen in-house counsel who specialize in other practice areas, and are members of cross-function business teams working with Biogen scientists and business leaders located around the globe. Biogen IP attorneys are critical thinkers, are curious, and are able to influence others.
The individual in this role will have responsibility for managing intellectual property matters critical to the Company’s success, counseling senior Company business leaders, managing IP disputes, patent portfolio strategy and management, outside counsel budgets and performance, IP competitive intelligence, and due diligence in support of business transactions. The successful candidate will have significant depth of experience in diverse aspects of patent law practice, high technical competency in the life sciences, and will be adept at serving as a trusted business advisor.
• Develop strategies to protect the Company’s intellectual property assets (including commercial products, development candidates, research findings and other related subject matter)
• Implement and lead IP strategy for Program Teams, and establish positive working relationships with these teams by acting as their advisor on a variety of IP related issues.
• Prepare and prosecute or oversee outside counsel in prosecuting worldwide patent applications, conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments, and manage IP disputes.
• Lead IP due diligence, IP review and IP agreement negotiation support for Biogen’s business development activities working collaboratively with BD Counsel, external counsel and other business development colleagues.
• Develop and continually expands a thorough understanding of the Company’s current and planned business activities, products, competitors, and markets and keep abreast of developing legal trends, laws and regulations.
• Registered Patent Attorney
• High level of communication, organizational and analytical skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with other Legal group members and with other functions (R&D, Commercial, Corporate Development) in the organization, and successfully manage outside counsel.
• Ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks, and to respond effectively to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines.
• IP practice experience ideally in both a law firm and a bio/pharmaceutical corporate setting.
• JD or equivalent and 7-10 years post-law school experience.
• BS/MS/PhD in Chemistry is required (advanced degree strongly preferred).