<b>Duties</b><br /><br /><b>Summary</b><br /><br />This position is located in Resource Stewardship and Science, in the Division of Natural Resources and Science. The incumbent serves as a technical advisor in plant ecology and vegetation management.<br /><br />Learn more about this agency <br /><br /><b>Responsibilities</b><br /><br /><ul> <li>Directs an ecological program that involves sensitive and complex issues that may impact a wide variety of park vegetation issues.</li> <li>Advises parks in the development of vegetation-related sections of park resource stewardship strategies, vegetation management plans, invasive plant management plans, environmental assessments, environmental impact statements and other strategic documents needed to successfully manage and protect natural ecosystems and environmental conditions.</li> <li>Serves as Integrated Pest Management (IPM) technical expert and scientific advisor to National Capital Region (NCR) parks and programs, including facilities management, cultural resources, natural resources, interpretation, visitor services and concessions.</li> <li>Reviews National Capital Region (NCR) Pesticide Use Permits to ensure they are using the most appropriate pest management tools and techniques available for each situations.</li> <li>Responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, implementing, and providing regional leadership and working closely with national leadership on IPM and forest health issues that protect the public, employees, resources and significant property of the National Park System.</li> <li>Develops and maintains liaisons and effective working relations with related groups and individuals, agencies, and the public in order to encourage and facilitate cooperative regional vegetation management strategies.</li> <li>Develops and implements plans for the inventory, monitoring, evaluation, documentation, preservation, research, and interpretation of plant ecology.</li> <li>Coordinates National Capital Region's (NCR) vegetation management and ecological strategies and programs with those on adjacent lands for the purposes of achieving broad ecosystem protection strategies and preventing human impacts.</li> <li>Prepares scientific reports regarding the results of management, protection, restoration inventory monitoring, and research.</li> <li>Works closely with the interpretation and education staff to incorporate new information into park and partners education programs.</li> </ul> <br /><br /><b>Travel Required</b><br /><br />Occasional travel – Occasional travel for meetings and training may be required.<br /><br />Supervisory status <br /> No <br /><br />Promotion Potential <br /> 11 <br /><br /></li> <b>Requirements</b><br /><br /><b>Conditions of Employment</b><br /><br /><ul> </ul> <br /> <ul> <li>U.S. Citizenship required.</li> <li>Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.</li> <li>Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.</li> </ul> <ul> <li>Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.</li> <li> You may be required to operate a government motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists.</li> <li> If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.</li> <li> Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or (c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.</li> </ul> <br /><br /><b>Qualifications</b><br /><br />To qualify for this positions you must meet the following by closing date of this announcement:<br /> <b>Basic Education: </b><br /> Have successfully completed a bachelor's degree in a four-year course of study in an accredited college or university in the biological sciences or related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences. <b>OR</b><br /> Have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours) of which a minimum of 9 semester hours were in ecology subjects and 12 semester hours were in the mathematical sciences as shown in the choice above, plus appropriate experience and/or additional education comparable to the completion of a 4-year course of study.<br /><br /><b>AND</b><br /> <b> </b><br /> <b>Specialized Experience: </b><br /> Have one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level that equipped me with the particular specialized experience needed to successfully perform the duties of this position. Specialized Experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience include: vegetation management and plant ecology; developing environmental assessments and impact statements; managing and protecting natural ecosystems and environmental conditions; analysis and dissemination of natural resources-related data; developing long range plans for inventory and monitoring programs. <b>OR</b><br /> Have three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree; or possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. <b>OR</b><br /> Have an equivalent combination of education and experience.<br /><br /><strong>Volunteer Experience:</strong> Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.<br /><br /><strong>You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".</strong> <br /><br /><b>Education</b><br /><br />You must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.<br /><br />If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.<br /><br /><b>Additional information</b><br /><br />This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.<br /><br /><strong>Physical Demands:</strong> The position may require strenuous physical activity Including periods of standing, walking, climbing, and lifting and carrying heavy objects. Some activities will occur In physically dangerous areas or settings. Documentary research and report writing work Is sedentary, which entails the ability to concentrate and write for long periods of time.<br /><br /><strong>Working Conditions:</strong> Work is performed both indoors and outdoors In all types of weather. Assignments may be performed in potentially hazardous areas Including steep slopes, rocky terrain, volcanoes, caves, firelines, arctic environments, swam , deserts, and forests. flying In fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters Is possible.<br /><br />The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.<br /><br />If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information . <br /><br /><b>How You Will Be Evaluated</b><br /><br />You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.<br /><br />A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.<br /><br />Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. These procedures place candidates with veteran's preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. Under Category Rating, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories: <ul> <li><strong>Best Qualified </strong>- applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position</li> <li><strong>Well Qualified -</strong> applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in most of the requirements of the job</li> <li><strong>Qualified -</strong> applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.</li> </ul> <strong>You will be evaluated on the following competencies:</strong><br /> <ul><li>Botany</li><li>Customer Service</li><li>Ecology</li><li>Oral Communication</li><li>Writing</li></ul><br /><br />Those eligible for special/non-competitive appointing authorities, who have been determined to meet minimum qualifications requirements will be referred for consideration on a separate non-competitive certificate of eligibles. <br /><br /><b>Background checks and security clearance</b><br /><br />Security clearance <br /> Not Required <br /><br />Drug test required <br /> No <br /><br />Position sensitivity and risk <br /> Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk <br /><br />Trust determination process <br /> Suitability/Fitness <br /><br /></li> <b>Required Documents</b><br /><br />The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 07/08/2019: <li><strong>Resume</strong> which includes a list of all significant jobs held and duties performed, with dates specified in month and year format, and, indicate hours worked per week . If military or civilian, please include your rank and/or grade.</li> <li>A complete <strong>Occupational Questionnaire</strong></li> <li><strong>Other Supporting Documents</strong>, if applicable, such as: <ul> <li> Veterans Preference Documentation : <ul> <li>If you are a <strong>Discharged, Non-Disabled Veteran</strong>, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character of discharge (Member 4 copy), or other Documentation of Service and Separation under Honorable Conditions, as listed on the SF15 . If you don't have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives .</li> <li>If you are a <strong>veteran within 120 days of discharge</strong>, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, & 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.</li> <li>If you are a <strong>Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient, or</strong> <strong>Mother or Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Veteran</strong> , you must submit all additional proof required by the SF15 , and if applicable, a completed SF15 . You may request a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs letter from www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 to establish proof of disability.</li> </ul> </li> <li>Noncompetitive/Special Hiring Authorities – You must provide documentation of eligibility for appointment (i.e., Schedule A letter, DD-214 [showing character of service], a letter from the military branch of service/Department of Veterans Affairs certifying permanent service-connected disability/temporary disability dated within 12 months from the date of application, noncompetitive eligibility letter , etc.), in addition to selecting the appropriate eligibility/eligibilities in the Assessment Questionnaire.</li> </ul> </li> <li>College transcripts.</li> <li>Documentation for Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Plan consideration if you are a displaced Federal employee within the local commuting area. You must include: 1) Proof you are a displaced Federal employee, e.g., RIF Separation Notice, Notice of Proposed Removal, etc; 2) SF-50s (Notifications of Personnel Action) showing career/conditional tenure competitive status, promotion potential and duty location; and 3) your most recent performance appraisal. To exercise selection priority, displaced or surplus Federal employees must be rated well-qualified or above 80 on the rating criteria for this position.</li> <strong>Do not submit photographs with your application package.</strong> Documents with photographs may not be seen by hiring officials – you must remove your image from any badges, licenses, etc.<br /><br /><strong>Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents.</strong> Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices. <br /><br /><b>If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:</b><br /><br />Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education . <br /><br />Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.

More Jobs: