Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
We are currently seeking a highly-motivated professional to join our Intellectual Property (IP) team as a Senior Patent Agent/Lawyer. This position will be based in Seattle, WA and will report into our Lead Patent Agent who is located in our headquarters in Vancouver, BC.
- Collaborates with the IP team to develop and manage the company’s global patent portfolio, including evaluating invention disclosures, drafting and prosecuting patent applications and conducting Freedom to Operate and patentability searches.
- Develops patent strategies for assigned products and platform technologies.
- Prepares and prosecutes PCT, US and foreign patent applications, working with lead patent agents and outside counsel as appropriate.
- Meets with scientists and engineers on a frequent basis to identify and protect novel inventions.
- Provides guidance and oversight to inventors for drafting invention disclosures and developing experimental protocols to support patents.
- Advises assigned R&D project teams and business development teams on a wide range of IP matters, including analysis of patent landscape and third-party patent portfolios.
- Manages existing patent portfolio requirements and monitors deadlines for assigned cases.
- Performs patentability and Freedom to Operate searches.
- In conjunction with lead patent agents, assists in IP due-diligence examinations with collaborators, partners and investors.
- Participates on teams evaluating potential candidates for in-licensing.
- Monitors and analyzes competitive intellectual property and communicates findings to Lead Patent Agents.
- Develops, implements and ensures compliance of policies and procedures relating to IP protection requirements and ensures IP processes are consistent with best practices.
- Actively works to foster an environment of effective and collaborative working relationships amongst employees, management and external partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- Requires?an advanced?degree?in Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry or related discipline, working knowledge of antibody-based therapeutics and/or small molecule therapeutics?and?a minimum of 5 years’?in a law firm and/or in-house IP department with a focus on drafting and prosecuting PCT, US and foreign patent applications, providing patentability and freedom-to-operate opinions?or an equivalent combination of education and experience.?PhD and post-doctoral experience preferred.?
- Patent?Agent?licensed/admitted to practice before the USPTO and/or CIPO.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships?
- Strong?organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a high paced, fast changing environment.
- Solid understanding of the rules, regulations and procedures of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office?
- Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications?
- Experience running complex prior-art/Freedom?to?Operate searches??
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to present findings with confidence to senior management??
- Excellent attention to detail??
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities?
- Demonstrated high level of integrity and ethics?
- Proficiency with MS Office?