Purpose of Job
Independently and regularly delivers effective, specialized legal advice to senior executive leaders, including the Chief Legal Officer, on highly complex and unique matters of significance in a specific type of law, leveraging deep subject matter expertise and thought leadership. Identifies and manages legal risks in association with USAA’s Risk Appetite and provides legal advice to ensure the company’s activities are conducted in compliance with all applicable laws. Demonstrates mastery of pertinent, nuanced and highly specialized legal expertise to deliver company objectives within the bounds of applied legal advice. Serves as an internal thought leader and domain expert to other attorneys and senior leaders.
- Independently leads highly complex, unique and high-risk work assignments that may involve leading virtual, cross- functional teams. Provides solution-oriented legal advice to manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to the organization.
- Serves as primary legal advisor delivering specialized legal advice on relevant matters or projects.
- Engages and collaborates with other internal and external legal experts. Proactively reaches out to colleagues inside and outside of his/her line of business or functional practice group.
- Autonomously manages and partners with outside counsel to complete assignments.
- Serves as a legal point of contact and proactively partners with Compliance and other stakeholders to mitigate legal risk.
- Provides legal advice and counsel requiring a high degree of independent legal thought and strategy for resolution including preparation of written legal opinions on high risk and complex matters.
- Demonstrates ownership of area of expertise, proactively educating colleagues regarding changes to laws, regulations and standards and provides guidance on the implications of those changes.
- Stays current on laws, regulations and industry standards and serves as a trusted strategic advisor and thought leader to senior leadership, EC and/or Board members.
- May independently provide advice directly to the Chief Legal Officer. Stays current on industry movement related to area of expertise.
- Collaborates with and influences key stakeholders, control partners, and other leaders across the enterprise through complex written and verbal communications. May represent USAA in interactions with regulators and other external bodies.
- Substantively reviews work of other attorneys and provides development and guidance to less experienced attorneys, serving as a resource on escalated issues of a complex, unique, or high-risk nature.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Admitted to the practice law in one state or territory of the USA
- Active member of good standing of the Bar in at least one state or territory
- 10 years of experience practicing law in a targeted legal discipline OR 8 years of experience practicing law in a targeted legal discipline combined with an additional two years of experience in a business role that is directly related to the targeted legal discipline.
- 5 or more years of experience leading broad, cross-functional work deliverables of a significant nature
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant industry knowledge
- Demonstrated thought leadership ability to influence senior leaders on matters of legal significance, complexity, and/or risk
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals
- Demonstrated ability to produce clear and concise written materials appropriate for senior leaders
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- 10 or more years of demonstrated experience in health insurance law including product experience with Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, ancillary health insurance products such as dental, vision, accident, and long term care.
- Experience includes providing advice to mitigate legal, regulatory, compliance and/or litigation risks related to vendor relationships, regulatory compliance, operational issues such as claims, distribution, and HIPAA.
- Experience working at a life insurance company or health insurance company
- Able to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 07/3/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.