This Senior Counsel – Commercial Legal Support position is responsible for providing commercial legal services to support the business operations of Duke Energy Corporation and its affiliates (collectively, the “Company”), as needed, with special emphasis on negotiation, drafting, and legal advice related to a variety of commercial transactions. The position requires independent judgment and frequent contact with clients and others internal and external to the Company, under the general direction of a Deputy General Counsel. In addition, the position requires proficient oral and written communication skills, the ability to develop relationships with clients to ensure client communication and responsiveness, and a desire to develop knowledge of the Company and industry.
- Provide legal advice to key business units and project teams of the Company, including the preparation, review and negotiation of agreements and other legal documents, as well as correspondence, for the Company.
- Consult with other Company in-house counsel and outside counsel on legal issues with significant value, or which may have economic, political or regulatory implications for the Company.
- Manage and resolve legal matters, as lead in-house counsel, arising out of the Company’s businesses, including various construction projects and commercial transactions, with limited supervision and guidance.
- Revise and maintain current contract templates and contracting processes and the implementation of those processes. Review contracts to ensure essential language is included to protect the company from unnecessary risks and liabilities.
- Remain current on legal trends, laws and regulations and proactively communicate information to other attorneys in the Legal Department.
- Research and monitor federal and state law and regulations that affect or may affect the Company.
- Extensive work on non-routine matters requiring a broad and thorough understanding of the Company and its business environment.
- Assist in the further development of the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Provide or assist with providing legal and compliance training to business units within the Company.
- Frequently meet with and counsel individuals within the Company
- Work with and manage outside counsel to maximize efficiency.
- Comply with processes to protect the company from unnecessary risks and liabilities, including all reporting requirements
- Promote a positive corporate image through involvement in Company and civic affairs
- Leads and/or serves on committees, special projects, or other assignments as directed to further departmental goals
- Periodic travel within the US will be required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree (JD) from an accredited law school
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience practicing law
- Licensed to practice law in North Carolina or Licensed to practice in any state in the US and eligible for comity
- Commercial transactions experience, including experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts
- Regulated utility industry experience
- Licensed to practice in North Carolina
- Technically proficient in multiple areas of the law
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional judgment, decision-making and problem-solving abilities
- Organizational agility, process management, planning, presentation and team-building skills
- Ability to gain the confidence and respect of management and clients
- Ability to take direction and act accordingly with conviction, in a timely and high quality manner
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities and desire to be part of a team
- Ability to function effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and to prioritize conflicting demands from multiple business clients
- Ability to analyze complex business situations and develop recommendations which meet the Company’s legal and business needs
- Willingness to learn and continuously develop skills and proficiencies in the practice of law
- Technologically proficient and independent
- Other postgraduate business education
- Experience in litigation and dispute resolution