Serves as the legal business partner and trusted advisor to the Company’s Commercial business lines. Provides general legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of legal activities in support of the business.
• Oversee legal issues that arise within the Commercial business lines, collaborating with functional teams for support as appropriate, including Employment, Litigation, Contracting, Compliance, Regional Counsel, and Corporate Quality.
• Advise in the areas of healthcare law and all applicable pharmaceutical marketing, anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, anti-bribery/anti-corruption, applicable FDA regulations, and transparency reporting statutes and regulations.
• Stay abreast of and communicate to the business all significant pending and actual decisions, legislation and regulatory rulings that may affect the company in the area of commercial healthcare law.
• Support the contracting teams with customer and vendor contracts for the Commercial businesses as well assist with general client questions and issues.
• Identify training needs within the business and develop and present training sessions on relevant laws and legal/business issues.
• Manage external counsel within specified budgetary limits and in line with business and legal management’s expectations.
• Manage tight deadlines and interact with lawyers and business teams globally.
• Perform other work-related duties as assigned. Travel may be required (up to 25%).
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
• Judgment: Demonstrates expertise and sound judgment, understands how assigned responsibilities support Syneos Health’s business objectives, and is able to provide practical, risk-balanced advice based upon a thorough understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
• Collaboration: Works with others to gain a firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources, integrates information from a number of sources, capably navigates a matrixed environment and works well in a team in order to achieve optimal business results.
• Anticipation: Anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives, develops contingency plans, and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
• Influencing Skills: Builds strong relationships with business partners to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes. Represents Syneos Health externally to customers, suppliers, competitors, trade associations and government agencies. Resolves or avoids legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise/engage in external influencing efforts.
• 12+ years in practice, including 7+ years of recent relevant legal experience in a law firm’s life sciences practice with respect to commercialization and marketing of pharma/biotech products and/or in-house at a global pharmaceutical or biotech company.
• Experience counseling organizations on regulatory risks and assisting in developing strategic solutions.
• Experience with customer and vendor contracting, management of client relationship issues and strong negotiation skills.
• Experience handling multiple projects in fast-paced environment, with a high degree of client service orientation, and performing successfully in cross-functional teams.
• Able to independently handle complex matters with minimal supervision. Understands when to elevate issues to senior management for awareness or decision.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication and organizational skills.
Tasks, duties, and responsibilities as listed in this job description are not exhaustive. The Company, at its sole discretion and with no prior notice, may assign other tasks, duties, and job responsibilities. Equivalent experience, skills, and/or education will also be considered so qualifications of incumbents may differ from those listed in the Job Description. The Company, at its sole discretion, will determine what constitutes as equivalent to the qualifications described above. Further, nothing contained herein should be construed to create an employment contract. Occasionally, required skills/experiences for jobs are expressed in brief terms. Any language contained herein is intended to fully comply with all obligations imposed by the legislation of each country in which it operates, including the implementation of the EU Equality Directive, in relation to the recruitment and employment of its employees.