Dwolla seeks an exceptional Director of Legal to join our growing in-house team to provide sound legal and business advice across the company. S/he will guide and support our team of legal professionals in the provision of timely and high quality advice on our commercial operations, product development, and regulatory compliance strategy. S/he will be a motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is comfortable with ambiguity and change. The ideal candidate will be a generalist, tech-savvy attorney with a Fintech background, who is both an experienced leader and a strong operator who can roll up their sleeves to get things done.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Dwolla’s team of high-performing legal professionals on day-to-day matters and escalations.
- Provide timely legal and business guidance to all areas of the company on a wide variety of issues, including commercial, regulatory, product development, and corporate matters.
- Lead complex legal projects that span multiple legal, business, and functional areas.
- Partner with the General Counsel and cross-functional leaders to evaluate and set company risk tolerance and mitigate legal risk.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to monitor and drive compliance with Dwolla’s company policies and regulatory requirements while fostering successful business growth.
- Play a significant role in the hiring and management of new legal professionals.
- Lead initiatives to Improve and scale legal systems, tools, and processes by evaluating and implementing new technology and policies.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of all laws and regulations affecting the business.
- Prepare and deliver ongoing legal training to internal teams.
- Assist with the development and management of the Legal team budget.
- Manage outside counsel work and relationships.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- JD admitted to practice in Iowa, or eligible to be admitted without examination under Rule 31.12 or to register as Iowa House Counsel under Rule 31.16.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house experience.
- Prior experience managing and/or leading legal professionals is required.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong judgment, with a firm grasp of the intersection of legal, regulatory and business issues.
- Ideal candidate will have prior experience in the following industries and/or subjects: payments, financial services, e-commerce, and/or software.
- Ideal candidate will also have significant expertise in: BSA/AML, UDAAP, Reg E, Privacy rules (CalOPPA, CCPA, GDPR), CAN-SPAM, and/or NACHA Rules.