Location(s): CO – Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Xcel Energy’s General Counsel is seeking an attorney with a strong background in environmental law including compliance, permitting, real property transactions, litigation, and enforcement actions. The ideal candidate should have environmental regulatory experience across all major environmental programs (e.g., CWA, CAA, ESA, RCRA, CERCLA, BGEPA etc.), transactional experience and litigation experience, with an emphasis on Clean Air Act and remediation/contamination-related experience. The candidate should also have experience in the areas of air and water quality, remediation, and administrative agency law and regulation. Experience with coal ash, PCBs, MGPs, and various energy plants (coal, nuclear, wind, solar) is a plus.
- Providing legal advice and ensuring compliance with environmental laws, regulations and permits.
- Providing advice on environmental contracts, including waste services contracts, access agreements and consultant contracts, various types of contracts with environmental risk, and assisting with environmental due diligence in connection with acquisitions.
- Assisting in setting strategy on environmental matters, including climate policy and remediation activities.
- Defending Company, managing outside counsel, and budgeting matters in environmental litigation or enforcement.
- Juris Doctorate degree from ABA accredited law school. Licensed to practice in the state in which the position is located.
- 3-6 years of practice (6-10 years for Principal) in corporate law department, law firm, government practice or equivalent legal experience. Superior verbal and written communication skills are required
- Possesses general litigation experience, including experience related to trials, depositions, document and e-discovery, motions, and other litigation-oriented skills.
- Experience and ability to provide federal and state environmental legal advice to operating facilities regarding air, water and waste permitting and compliance issues, and to assess environmental reports and audits, and provide related legal advice.
- Possess general transactional experience, including drafting of contracts.
- Experience and ability to understand and communicate complex legal information.
- Detail-oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, including, writing and oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to work as a member of a team with technical and business personnel.
- Demonstrates creativity to ensure that Company business objectives are maintained, and requires management skills to select, retain and supervise outside counsel.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO – Denver || CO – Denver || United States (US) || General Counsel || 80000:General Counsel || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 19110
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at recruitingxcelenergy.com