Senior IP Counsel
At Signify, formerly known as Philips Lighting, we value the new ideas and opinions that you bring to our organization. In turn, you get to work with the best people in our industry. We are looking for energetic and bold people to help us achieve our goals. At Signify, you deepen your knowledge and deliver meaningful results.
We’re currently seeking an Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel to work out of our office in Burlington, MA. The IP Counsel acts independently and as a role model on one or more IP related aspects.
You’ll be part of the Signify Team responsible for managing IP risks in our business, guiding others on IP in every aspect of the business and creating and leveraging IP to support the business goals of the company.
As our Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel you’ll be responsible for areas such as…
- IP Counseling: proposing and negotiating strategic IP solutions with regard to third parties and their IP, to support Signify’s competitiveness, growth and profitability, in close cooperation with Signify business, R&D and Legal, including: analyzing patents and related products to investigate alleged infringement and validity of patents; preparing business cases for strategic approach of IP assertion/litigation; manage working with outside counsel with regard to selection, litigation strategy, costs and actions; contact, engage, draft and negotiate settlement/intellectual property license-in agreements with third parties
- IP portfolio management: Creating a strong IP portfolio in specified areas in line with the IP portfolio plan for that area, including: deploying the IP portfolio plan in the relevant Signify R&D and commercial groups; processing or having processed IP proposals and drafting or having drafted IP applications in accordance with the guidelines and time limits set therefore; prosecuting or having prosecuted IP applications in accordance with the guidelines and time limits set therefore, including instructing IP Counsels and IP agencies in other countries so as to ensure that the broadest possible protection can be obtained globally
- Capability: internal IP and external promotional activities with respect to IP awareness; maintain own professional level by, among other activities, keeping up-to-date with legal/technical developments and sharing own knowledge
- Demonstrates in-depth and/ or breadth of understanding of the IP process and is able to handle non-standard situations independently; adapting according to the circumstances; consistently demonstrates a proactive considered and long-term view and formulates balanced short-term actions that bear such long-term consequences in mind.
- Influences management processes continuously to increase flexibility and responsiveness, reduce time and costs.
- Promotes the following: cross-functional cooperation; information flow and mutual support to maximize effectiveness of cross-functional processes, development and improvement processes and analytical frameworks to support the business.
You are/You have…
- A JD or LLB in Law from an accredited Law School
- Admission to practice law in at least one state in the US
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or comparable degree
- Admission to the USPTO a plus
- A minimum of 8 years of working experience in Intellectual Property as a qualified US patent attorney or IP lawyer, with a focus on US IP litigation/assertions.
- Excellent relationship building, influencing and negotiating abilities.
- The confidence and communication and inter-personal skills to operate at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Strong professional drive.
- Excellent Analytical and Intellectual capabilities.
We are Signify, the new company name of Philips Lighting, and we light up the world! Our purpose is to unlock the extraordinary potential of light for brighter lives and a better world.
We’re committed to the continuous development of our employees, using our learning to shape the future of light and create a sustainable future. Join the undisputed leader in the lighting industry and be part of our diverse global team. #WeAreSignify #SignifyLife