Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Leadership Principles: We Continuously Get Better
Leadership Principles: We Develop Each Other
Leadership Principles: We Drive Results
Leadership Principles: We Win Together
Leadership Principles: We’re Here to Serve
Leadership Principles: We’re Transparent
Represents insureds and the Company in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts. , Provides counsel to business clients on day to day issues. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors counsel.
- Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propounds discovery, and develop strategy
- Contact clients to discuss the case and answer any questions and maintain contact at a minimum of 90 days
- Contact claims (initial litigation plan, recurring minimum 90 day contact, strategy conferences, etc.)
- Review all documentary evidence
- Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
- Conduct depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
- Prepare and conduct court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
- Conduct settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
- Try and/or arbitrate cases
- Prepare motions in liminie and summary documents
- Draft post-trial motions
- Prepare for and participate in appeals
- Provide legal opinions to claims clients
- Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
- Legal Advice and Counseling
- Perform due diligence; gather all relevant facts and documents
- Research and determine applicable and pertinent laws, statutes, regulations, rules, and other legal authority; identify legal issues
- Monitor and review new laws, regulations, and case law; identify and summarize relevant issues; Collaborate with other areas of L&R department; Proactively provide advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business
- Provide advice and/or legal approval related to company documents, policy, practices, and procedures
- Perform work with oversight from a more senior attorney
- Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft, review and / or negotiate basic matters and agreements
- Draft and / or review routine correspondence and communications
- Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Respond to customer inquiries
- Gather facts from client to understand goals and objectives client intends to achieve from intended action
- Work with business colleagues to develop and implement change
- Project Management
- Manage projects including development of meeting materials, and coordination with senior management
- Participate in relevant external industry groups
- Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of the Georgia State Bar
- Two to five years plus years of Insurance Defense and/or Personal Injury litigation experience
- Trial and/or Arbitration experience is preferred, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include SIU, PIP, UM and Subrogation.
- No Fault and/or SIU experience is a plus.
- Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, LexisNexis (preferred), and the internet
- Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
- Must be able to handle a large caseload
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to travel
- Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops.
- Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints
- Turning and twisting at work
- Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors’ depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
- Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.
- Walking and rolling brief case with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition and facilitations, etc.
- Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.