We’re looking for a seasoned, practical and hands-on privacy lawyer to join our legal team and lead our privacy and data protection strategies worldwide. The Sr. Corporate Counsel for Privacy and Data Protection will focus primarily on transaction support, counseling and program support for global privacy and data protection compliance initiatives across the company.
We’re a nimble legal team supporting a globally growing company, so you’ll cover a lot of ground. This role reports to our General Counsel and will work closely with members of our legal team, as well as cross-functionally across the company. This position is located at Box’s HQ in Redwood City, CA.
What You’ll Do
- Lead all aspects of our worldwide privacy and data protection strategies, with a focus on user and customer facing agreements and policies.
- Advise legal, compliance, security, product, marketing, engineering and other business teams on critical privacy issues and data protection rules in the U.S., Europe, APAC and beyond.
- Develop, implement and maintain internal and external privacy policies, disclosures and consents for compliance, accuracy, and clarity.
- Manage compliance with all applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations, including the General Data Protection Regulation and California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Draft and review privacy and data protection-related provisions of customer agreements, business partnerships, and other complex commercial contracts.
- Assist in security incident responses and internal investigations.
- Evaluate the impact of U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry guidelines involving privacy and security.
- Assist with other relevant projects.
What We’re Looking FoR
- JD with 5+ years of experience handling privacy and data protection issues in a demanding and innovative legal environment.
- World-class expertise in privacy and data protection laws and regulations in the U.S., Europe APAC and beyond, including Privacy Shield and GDPR.
- Track record of developing practical solutions to novel problems, as well as identifying, prioritizing, and resolving issues quickly and independently.
- Experience negotiating privacy, security and compliance terms in technology agreements.
- Exceptional project management and communication skills.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- CIPP certification(s) and experience working with SaaS companies preferred.
- Team player, good sense of humor and passionate about your work.