Job Description and Duties
The State Fund Claims-Legal program is seeking a motivated Attorney to join an elite legal team located in our Workers Compensation Legal Department at Fresno, California. This Assistant Chief Counsel position serves under the authority of the Deputy Chief Counsel and is responsible for planning, supervising, directing and reviewing the work of subordinate attorneys at the Attorney, Attorney III, Attorney IV and Attorney V levels, and provides indirect supervision of support staff and clerical personnel. In addition, the Assistant Chief Counsel will work closely with internal and external business partners, and will work on or lead various projects which affect the State Fund Legal department.
- Cases which may have potential major financial or precedent-setting exposure;
- Legal analysis of legislative materials and their impact on State Fund’s Legal Department.
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Perform lien and complex case-in-chief litigation and strategies;
- Work under tight deadlines and high volume offices;
- Adapt to changes in work priorities and deliverables;
- Work on multiple projects and prioritize work effectively;
- Work well with others and inspire, motivate direct reports to excel in their work quality and output;
- Speak before large groups and deliver concise, effective presentations;
- Travel throughout California whenever needed, including appearance at all types of legal proceedings;
- Conduct effective discovery, trial practice and legal research within the field of workers compensation;
- Manage, supervise and lead all direct reports and subordinates in fully executing their work duties;
- Skill to effectively communicate and work with all internal and external business partners;
- Provide timely sound legal advice, and ensure the effective representation of State Fund;
- The ability to ensure that all legal services including research, pleadings, appearances, negotiations and litigation is performed at a very high level of competency;
- Timely fulfill all administrative and supervisory duties for the legal unit;
- Fully understand our CalHR Master Agreement and ensuring full compliance with it;
- Work cooperatively with our State Departments and CalHR; and,
- Work within the budgetary confines of State fund, our Master Agreement, CalHR and the various state departments.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, peers, direct reports and business partners;
- Provide quality customer service in a timely manner;
- Follow the principles of State Fund’s mission, ethics, Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines;
- Maintain a safe work environment;
- Vigorously defend State Fund from fraudulent activities;
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.