Grand Canyon University is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to assist in providing advice and counsel on a broad range of legal and regulatory matters critical to the University’s goals and strategic mission.
- Assists in the direction of the legal affairs of the University to include oversight of litigation management, corporate compliance, risk management and compliance, licensing and accreditation, complex commercial transactions, real estate development and transactions, ownership issues, agreements and employment counseling and litigation.
- Assists the General Counsel in the representation of the University in all legal actions, including regular contact with outside counsel.
- Assists with all legal processes necessary to protect the privileges and rights of the University.
- Provides legal and regularly advice and counsel, expertise and leadership to GCU relating to all aspects of the University, facilities/construction operational functions, including the resolution of significant legal issues and legal and compliance risk mitigation, including general corporate law, compliance governance and litigation management.
- Supervises and manages the provision of legal services, either personnel or external counsel to meet the strategic objectives of the organization; actively manages legal issues to minimize risk and costs for the University.
- Ensures that compliance procedures, legal policies and documentation are in place to support the University from a financial and regulatory perspective; monitors the effectiveness of legal risk controls and identifies and remedies control gaps.
- Provides legal advice, guidance and counsel on the ordinary and special activities of the organization.
- Assists General Counsel in policy deliberations.
- Assists in directing the defense of the University against suits or claims and prepares prosecution of the University’s claims against others.
- Juris Doctor or LL.B. from an accredited institution with an excellent academic record.
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Arizona, Bar admission and in good standing.
- Minimum 10 years’ corporate legal experience including substantial experience working in litigation management, SEC and regulatory compliance, employment law, corporate governance.
- Prior experience in a highly regulated industry such as post-secondary education is preferred.
- Knowledgeable of federal and state regulations in areas of specialization.
- Advanced knowledge of the SEC.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.