|Position Title||Associate University Counsel|
|Campus||Western University Campus-Pomona, CA|
|Department||5003-Legal Affairs/General Counsel|
|Type of Position||Administration|
Under the supervision/oversight of Senior University Counsel, this position will be the responsible for the contract review/monitoring process at the University, which includes, without limitation, reviewing contracts, assisting in negotiations, drafting template agreements, and routing agreements for additional review and approval within the University. Position will work closely with the respective College/Department designees, throughout the contract review/monitoring process.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities||
Individual must possess the knowledge, as well as the following skills and abilities, and be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with our without a reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
Education: Bachelors Degree, J.D. degree,
Experience working with contracts in a higher education and/or health care setting.
|List comments regarding work hours||
8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday-Friday; some weekends and evenings. Travel may be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
Effectively oversee and manage the stages of the Contract lifecycle: 1) Intake 2) Legal Review, 3) Additional Reviewers, 4) Approval, 5) Execution and 6) Post Execution Management . This includes, without limitation, the following:
1. Effectively assist University/College Administrators in the development of specific contract proposals and/or agreements, an appropriate overall contract strategy, and/or programmatic review of the applicable terms/conditions;
2. Review, and negotiate terms and conditions of contracts/agreements and ensure appropriate modifications are incorporated;
3. Serve as a liaison between internal and external parties during contract development and negotiation stages;
4. Effectively coordinate necessary actions with appropriate departments and General Counsel (or designee) according to competing, fast-paced and deadline driven environment;
5. Ensure compliance with applicable state/federal law and University policies and procedures;
6. Ensure contracts/agreements are accurately executed/satisfied and completion of any necessary follow-up/tracking of applicable terms/conditions (i.e. receipt/satisfaction of payments, document submissions, etc. );
7. Monitor contracts/agreements to ensure compliance with terms/conditions, applicable laws and University policies/procedures;
8. Supervise the organization and maintenance of all records related to contracts/agreements, including an electronic data base.
|Percentage Of Time||70|
Create, facilitate, and manage a training resource for the Campus Community related to contracts, negotiations, best practices, etc.
Develop concise language standards and rules for existing and new contracts, including the creation of templates, policies/procedures, instructional guides and/or training programs for staff/faculty;
|Percentage Of Time||20|
Resolve existing or potential contract conflicts in a timely and effective fashion;
Analyze and report potential risks that contract changes may pose to the organization to designated University administrators and/or General Counsel (or designee), as appropriate;
|Percentage Of Time||5|
Other duties, as assigned.
|Percentage Of Time||5|