These positions are located in Portland, OR and San Francisco, CA.
The incumbent serves as an attorney providing legal advice, research, analysis and interpretation of federal, state and local laws, as well as oral and written opinions, memoranda, pleadings, briefs and legal support of all USDA programs and litigation, and performs other legal services as assigned.
- Provides written and oral legal advice to USDA officials in connection with the day-to-day operations of their programs.
- Reviews loans and grants proposed to be made under various USDA lending programs to ensure legal sufficiency, and works with the lending agencies on subsequent servicing issues.
- Conducts and assists with litigation involving USDA agencies, programs, and officials, including preparing pleadings, interviewing witnesses, conducting depositions, and negotiating with opposing parties.
- Conducts legal research to ensure that advice provided is based upon a sound understanding of the law and facts, and anticipates foreseeable consequences of advice provided.
- Recommends actions to ensure that decisions made and actions taken are practical, effective, and legally sound and defensible.
- Reviews and prepares various kinds of legal documents for general and specific use, including documents related to contracts, real property transactions, and other commercials transactions.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.