Reporting to the General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel has a primary focus on drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements and advising on contract performance. Advice in other substantive areas (labor/employment, immigration, IP, general compliance) and countries (Mexico) is also provided by the small-sized legal department, working with all key functional and operating groups in North America. Well-developed organizational, interpersonal, negotiation, writing, presentation, and listening skills are required, with ability to establish credibility and rapport with employees at all levels of the organization.
Take ownership. Are you ready for a challenge?
In this role the ideal candidate will act as a network and think innovatively while executing the following responsibilities:
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates a variety of commercial and strategic agreements, including agreements with customers and suppliers, licensing agreements, software and hardware agreements, master services agreements, construction and maintenance agreements, and other general commercial agreements.
- Proactively identifies and analyzes legal issues and risks, reviews and drafts a variety of legal documents and memos, presents clear advice and recommendations, and helps ensure legal compliance across the full spectrum of the Company’s business.
- Serves as internal lawyer for labor/employment, immigration, IP, and other substantive areas of law as required, with ability to quickly learn unfamiliar areas of law.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationship with Company’s internal divisions and departments and their management groups to assist in identifying and evaluating business objectives, legal risks, and liabilities.
- Works closely with clients to support achievement of overall business objectives by providing support and counsel beyond strictly legal advice.
- Trains, develops and motivates employees of other departments and divisions to improve their knowledge of the legal principles most applicable to their job duties.
- Assumes additional responsibilities and performs special projects or investigations as needed or directed.
- Assists General Counsel with department management, optimizing methods for delivering legal services, and management of outside counsel
This role is best suited for a candidate that possess the following qualifications:
- J.D. from an accredited top tier law school with a license to practice law in at least one state
- 7+ years of relevant experience with private law firm or corporate legal department (or a combination thereof) in commercial contracting or similar transactional legal work
- Superior writing, analytical, negotiation, time and task management, and interpersonal skills; aptitude with relevant technology
- Experience analyzing complex business and legal issues and communicating legal advice in a clear and concise fashion, with a broad legal knowledge relevant to U.S. subsidiary of multi-national corporation
- High level of discretion, candor, and ethics
- A practical, problem-solving, continuous improvement, and business-oriented mindset with a positive attitude and sound professional judgment
- Spanish language ability and familiarity with Mexican law
Let’s Connect. A Global Spirit, a Local Presence.
Let’s Work. A history rooted in excellence, a future driven by innovation.
Let’s Innovate. We believe that innovation drives the industry towards excellence.