At Abbott, we’re committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we’ve brought new products and technologies to the world — in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals — that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, more than 100,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 160 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
Abbott Medical Devices is seeking a Counsel or Senior Counsel for its Cardiac Arrhythmias and Heart Failure (CAHF) division, which comprises our electrophysiology (EP) and cardiac rhythm management (CRM) businesses. The ideal candidate will join a highly effective team in managing all aspects of intellectual property for our EP and CRM businesses for the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac arrhythmias through the use of electro-anatomical recording and mapping systems, access and guidance devices and mapping and ablation catheters as well as implantable devices including implantable cardiac monitors, pacemakers and defibrillators. We take a team-oriented approach to managing a large IP portfolio and deeply integrating in a diverse business. We are looking for a candidate who not only is responsible for their personal docket but can also make valuable contributions at a group level. Job title to be determined based on length and diversity of experiences.
- in close collaboration with other CAHF IP team members, strategically develop our worldwide patent portfolio, including directing and managing domestic and foreign outside counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications in a diverse and growing technological field;
- participate in the effective management of our external budget, including monthly, quarterly and annual budget reviews, quarterly forecasting, and reviewing outside counsel invoices;
- manage invention disclosures, including collecting and screening disclosures, conducting inventor interviews, presenting disclosures at patent committee and Invention Review Board meetings;
- conduct due diligence on potential mergers and acquisitions and freedom-to-operate assessments that drive strategic acquisitions and product development;
- conduct in-depth analyses of competitor products and IP portfolios;
- review outside counsel work to ensure the work, methodology, strategy and costs meet Abbott’s expectations;
- collaborate with cross-functional teams and counsel a variety of clients within the CAHF business on IP and other legal issues;
- interact with and provide legal and strategic guidance to senior management, engineers and other functional organizational leadership;
- collaborate with commercial legal counsel, including preparing and reviewing research and development agreements, confidentiality agreements, license agreements, and consulting agreements and counseling the business regarding IP transactional matters;
- assist internal and external litigation counsel on IP litigation matters;
- may supervise exempt or non-exempt employees, and manage employee career counseling, performance evaluation and other issues if required;
- conduct employee training sessions on the protection of innovations through the patent process, best practices for maintaining confidential business information, contractor and vendor matters, and the overall development of intellectual property assets;
- provide counseling and strategy options on marketing and promotional material;
- frequent local travel between Twin Cities facilities; occasional domestic or foreign travel.
- Juris Doctor from accredited law school and admitted to a US state bar in good standing;
- USPTO registration in good standing;
- Strong academic background;
- BS in engineering or science;
- Requirements for Counsel: must have a minimum of 5 years working as a patent attorney, with progressively more work experience in prosecuting software, mechanical and/or electro-mechanical patent applications with regionally or nationally recognized law firm and/or corporation. Experience counseling clients on intellectual property issues;
- Requirements for Sr. Counsel: must have a minimum of 10 years working as a patent attorney with same qualifications as Counsel plus substantial experience in-house, with PTAB/EPO Opposition proceedings, agreement review and negotiaions Government (USPTO or EPO) experience a plus and/or patent litigation;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, quantitative, analytical, organizational, and follow-up skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and strategic thinking;
- Ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies, and tasks.
- Significant freedom-to-operate or product clearance experience, preferably for medical device products;
- At least 4 years of drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the area of medical devices and/or software and/or managing a medical device IP portfolio;
- Working knowledge of patent laws in major jurisdictions outside of the US;
- For Counsel: Experience in-house, in patent office proceedings such as oppositions, reexaminations, or IPR proceedings, patent or trademark litigation proceedings;
- Government (USPTO or EPO) experience a plus.
Operations & Business Support
CAHF Cardiac Arrhythmias & Heart Failure
United States > Minnesota > Plymouth : 5050 Nathan Lane N
Yes, 25 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link – English: http: webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link – Espanol: http: webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf