Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 190 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 40 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 1,800 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
Legal and Compliance is responsible for managing all legal and regulatory matters, including contracts, corporate governance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, and claims. The team includes dedicated teams that support every aspect of Coursera’s platform, including university, enterprise and industry partnerships. In this role you will help build and strengthen Coursera’s university partnerships in both the consumer and online degree spaces, and you will work across the organization (with sales, business development, marketing, product, and partner relations) in service of Coursera’s growth and long-term success.
You should be a highly strategic, proactive attorney who is well-versed in the business dynamics and regulatory environment of higher education. You will be innovative and entrepreneurial, capable of creating solutions that facilitate the company’s initiatives to assure the success and growth of the organization. You are expected to be widely respected by the Legal and Compliance team and throughout the company due to your analytical thinking, savvy risk management, and ability to get things done.
To be successful in this role, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about the intersection of education, law, and business. We want a candidate who is energized by the challenges of working in a startup, and has a strong desire to learn new areas of law and function as an integral part of an interdisciplinary team. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so communication skills (written and verbal) are vital.
Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Advise on risks of proposed university partnership and degree transactions, and devise creative and practical legal solutions to meet business objectives
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of agreements for courses and degrees and other credentials, as well as related consulting and vendor agreements
- Recognize and communicate themes and opportunities surfaced through partner interactions and lead cross-functional teams in resolving issues and challenges
- Work closely with the product and engineering teams to advise on new features and business initiatives to ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual obligations
- Act as day-to-day legal counsel for a university partnerships team that supports over 170 Coursera university partners
- Provide substantive support to People team on employment law matters
- Counsel Marketing team on activities designed to attract and retain learners and to develop brand awareness across various marketing channels
- Select and manage outside counsel, as necessary, to obtain the necessary expertise on time and within budget
- Obtain and maintain a strong knowledge of the company, its mission, strategy and values, product and service offerings, and objectives of supported business units
- Assist the Legal and Compliance team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of forms, processes and procedures
- Keep abreast of applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact Coursera’s agreements and business practices
- At least 5-7 years of relevant experience; prior in-house counsel experience in, or counselling to, higher education is strongly preferred
- Must be admitted, and in active and good standing with the California State Bar (or able to register for the California State Bar’s in-house counsel program)
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring complex global contracts
- Strong and astute negotiation skills, with impeccable judgment, integrity and commitment to ethics
- Ability to identify and resolve issues relating to privacy, data-sharing, and student privacy
- Effectively represent the interests of the Legal and Compliance team at cross-functional meetings collaborating on everything from business strategy to product design
- Possess a practical, business-oriented approach to legal problem-solving with success meeting aggressive timelines
- Effectively counsel clients by providing clear, concise advice and creative solutions, within the confines of the relevant legal and regulatory landscape
- Ability to guide internal clients and partners through the education sector regulatory environment
- Familiarity with state and international regulatory issues relevant to navigating the cross-border environment for online education
- Working knowledge of FERPA, GDPR, accreditation, state authorization, Title IV, and ADA accessibility compliance as it pertains to online education
- Operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal & Compliance team and with internal clients
- Be collegial, hardworking, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results
- Comfort in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with competing deadlines and multiple stakeholders
- Marketing and product counseling experience a plus