General Mills is one of the world’s leading marketers, promoting brands like Cheerios, Nature Valley, Haagen-Dazs, Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, Totino’s, Annie’s and Blue Buffalo in markets around the world. The modern marketing and sales of food products can be extraordinarily varied and complex, often mixing traditional advertising elements (like television or digital advertising) with social media campaigns, dynamic e-commerce apertures and many other elements. We are looking for an experienced, senior in-house counsel to help us support the full range of these business activities. This attorney will provide support for a range of marketing, sales and other commercial activities within our US and Canada businesses.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the company’s businesses and business practices; engage in a proactive style of legal practice in order to best serve internal clients.
- Create, develop and maintain an attorney client relationship and serve as legal counsel for assigned operating unit leadership teams.
- Serve as a strategic counselor on assigned operating unit leadership team, helping the team to balance legal risks with associated business opportunities.
- Serve as a best in class marketing and advertising lawyer.
- Develop and maintain subject matter proficiency in food law regulations, contracting, litigation strategy, M&A strategy, and antitrust and pricing strategy.
- Provide legal training and education to the assigned operating units, incorporating emerging trends and optimizing how legal risk decisions are assessed and handled within the assigned operating units.
- Work as part of a broader legal team supporting the company and maintaining consistency and alignment in how legal risk analysis is being conducted across the company.
- Stay current on legal developments relevant to all GMI businesses.
- Accountable for bringing an external business and legal perspective to GMI’s businesses.
- Ability to effectively work with and incorporate other legal experts as necessary and appropriate.
- Professional development of attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants.
- Undertake additional responsibilities as determined from time to time by the company.
- Travel as required to represent the interests of General Mills.
- Juris Doctorate with 10 – 15 years practicing law including experience as an inhouse lawyer at a consumer-oriented company
- Ability to identify issues and provide legal service and advice on non-routine matters with minimal supervision
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Practical and creative problem analysis and resolution skills
- Excellent business judgment with the ability to make decisions and give advice that demonstrates an understanding of overall business objectives and the risk/reward of each situation
- Maturity and strong leadership skills, with the ability to articulate positions and provide direction
- Ability to work collaboratively on teams
- Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one state
- A commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards
- Strong executive presence and the ability to quickly gain the confidence of clients, enhanced by a strong sense of teamwork and outstanding people skills
- Flexibility of style as a lawyer, as a member of a multi-disciplined team, and as a business person
- A high level of energy and self-motivation