Homelessness Litigation and Program Counseling Unit (HLPCU) provides counseling and litigation support to the New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS) at all levels of the Agency, from intake to transitional housing, from prevention to street homelessness, and to any programs developed or run by the Agency. HLPCU represents its various programs in Supreme Court, Civil Courts, and Administrative Court settings, and provides litigation support to the City’s Law Department on major litigation against the Agency including class action lawsuits. The unit also handles program counsel to various Agency divisions, and handles internal legal conferences concerning eligibility determinations or transfer decisions amongst shelters. HLPCU also addresses routine legal matters for DHS concerning subpoenas, notices of claim, and records access.
The Office of the General Counsel of Legal Affairs (OLA) is recruiting for an Agency Attorney Interne within the Homeless Litigation and Program Counseling Unit (HLPCU) who will:
• Assist with reviewing cases submitted for Client Responsibility actions related to compliance with
• Represent DHS at administrative hearings and agency conferences; and act as a liaison to the Law
Department on external litigation.
• May assist in conducting legal research and draft memoranda and other writings advising on DHS
• Research and draft position statements in response to complaints filed with the Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission, State Division of Human Rights, and City Commission of Human Rights.
• Assist in responding to subpoenas and other information requests.
• Perform special projects on an as needed basis.
• Maybe re-assigned to other boroughs within New York City, as needed.
the ability to exercise discretion and initiative.
• Strong work ethic
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong people skills and leadership skills.
• Prior experience in administrative hearings or litigation.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DSS/HRA/DHS qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
150 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
*The Attorney Interne for the AFIC unit position will be assigned to work at 400-430 East 30th Street, New York
The work schedule will be Tuesday thru Saturday 9 am – 5pm, with flexibility to work evening schedule
based on Agency Needs*.