FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
The Business Counsel shall function as a proactive business partner to provide legal support and guidance to FMC’s Global Specialty Solutions Business and its Senior Management Team and will be tasked with providing counsel and guidance in both business and litigation matters. The Business Counsel will also provide commercial legal support to other areas of FMC Corporation’s business as needed, up to potentially 50% of the lawyer’s time if required. This role will report to the Associate General Counsel.
As primary counsel for FMC Global Specialty Solutions the attorney will partner with business clients to provide guidance on legal issues that impact the strategy or operations of the business.
Core responsibilities include:
- Commercial Contracts: Drafting and advising on confidentiality, distributorship, sales agency, supply, consulting and other agreements arising in the course of the FMC Global Specialty Solutions business.
- Strategic Counseling: Supporting the FMC Global Specialty Solutions business on strategic initiatives, including joint development, product acquisition and other third party strategic arrangements.
- Claims and Litigation Management: Advising the FMC Global Specialty Solutions business on product issues including product claims and litigation.
- Compliance Counseling: Advising FMC Global Specialty Solutions on compliance matters under applicable United States laws and regulations, including antitrust and regulatory matters.
- Training: Assuming a lead role in training business teams to ensure legal compliance, adherence to contract guidelines and mitigation of risk generally.
Other areas of responsibilities will include providing additional legal support for the following businesses and functions as needed:
- FMC’s North America Crop business in analyzing and negotiating commercial agreements, including sales and distribution, confidentiality and material transfer agreements.
- FMC’s Global Procurement Group in negotiating procurement related agreements including raw material supply, technology, manufacturing and consulting agreements.
- In intellectual property, environmental, bankruptcy, employee and benefits issues, this attorney will work with other members of the FMC Law Department.
- Bachelors’ Degree
- Law Degree from an Accredited US Law School
- Active Bar Membership – PA Preferred
- 5-8 years experience and a proven track record in a corporate law department or private law firm environment
- Strong background in general commercial legal matters
- Experience in chemical industry a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Broad experience in drafting legal documentation
- Work independently and handle multiple priorities within deadlines
- Prioritize and manage complex issues and projects that have significant business impact
- Be a detailed-oriented individual with the ability to function effectively under pressure
- Be a self-starter and perform without significant direct supervision
- Identify areas of risk/concern in area of responsibility
- Create and conduct formal presentations
- Build solid, effective working relationships with others
- Express ideas clearly and convey necessary information
- Think strategically and tactically
- Negotiate skillfully, present ideas persuasively, and close transactions with mutually beneficial results