Corporate Counsel – Legal Operations & Information Governance
About the Department
We depend on our Legal team to help drive growth and maintain the highest level of legal standards and corporate governance practices. It’s a tall order, which is why we only hire those who thrive on protecting the interests of our patients, employees and business, all while creating and implementing efficient and innovative legal solutions. As part of the team, you’ll work with employees across the organization to oversee legal matters and provide guidance on communications strategies that drive business and policy priorities and shape the reputation of Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI). At Novo Nordisk, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent and benefit from a range of possibilities for professional and personal development. Are you ready to realize your potential?
The Corporate Counsel – Legal Operations & Information Governance (“CC-LO-IG”) will drive the development, implementation, operation, and management of the company’s information governance, eDiscovery, and legal operations functions. The primary responsibilities of the CC-LO-IG are developing, implementing, and enforcing legally compliant, defensible and efficient information management and legal operations policies and procedures.
This position reports to the Vice President (VP) – Litigation & Risk Management. The position works in close collaboration with US and global Legal, IT, HR, and records management stakeholders, and lines of business. The CC-LO-IG is a people manager, responsible for direct reports and supervising work performed by Novo Nordisk colleagues located in India. The CC-LO-IG also manages external relationships with vendors specific to Legal Operations, eDiscovery, and information management.
- Advance the company’s goals of risk mitigation, cost containment and transparency, and increased operational efficiency by recommending, designing, and driving the adoption of policies and processes for information governance, eDiscovery, and external supplier management
- Identify, prioritize and oversee LO-IG projects and manage day-to-day operations to achieve policy and process objectives
- Drive development, enhancement, and management of external supplier management program, including (i) budget and spend management processes for litigations and investigations and other law department cost centers; (ii) operational aspects of relationship meetings with strategic providers; and (iii) data analytics and dashboarding to track key performance indicators
- Provide advice and counsel to litigation and investigations case teams concerning best practices for identification, preservation, collection, processing, review/analysis, and production of hard copy and electronically stored information
- Manage relationships with Novo Nordisk eDiscovery suppliers and drive adoption of efficient and legally defensible workflows
- Oversee implementation of enhanced legal hold and eDiscovery workflow management system and lead efforts to reengineer related business processes and redefine roles and responsibilities, as appropriate
- Promote awareness and proactively drive the adoption of sound information governance practices
- Drive collaboration with key information management and finance stakeholders in developing and implementing the LO-IG function
- Maintain awareness of emerging technological solutions, trends, and developments; make recommendations and establish business cases concerning adoption of new technologies and streamlining business processes; and manage implementation and go-forward support of solutions to ensure operational excellence
- Develop/maintain industry relationships and actively participate in relevant industry groups to facilitate benchmarking and ensure strong subject matter knowledge base
- Participate in ongoing review and assessment of the LO-IG function to ensure continuous process improvement
- Modify and implement policies and processes where required to ensure ongoing legal compliance and efficiency
0-10% overnight travel required
Development of People
Ensure that reporting personnel have individual development plans (IDP), with annual goals and measurements that are consistent with the priorities of the business, and that interim reviews are held so that their work is focused on those priorities, and they understand their level of accountability for results and the measurement process.
- J.D. required
- M.B.A. or other relevant coursework preferred
- At least 10 years’ relevant industry experience required
- Prior in-house experience in the life sciences industry strongly preferred
- People management experience strongly preferred
- Ability to quickly build business acumen and relationships required to develop the LO-IG function and collaborate effectively with key stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience taking a thoughtful approach to change management in an evolving and dynamic environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of eDiscovery, information governance, information technology, and electronic information management principles, solutions, and best practices required
- Experience implementing value-based billing and alternative fee arrangements, including flat/fixed fee models strongly preferred
- Experience optimizing resource models (insourcing/outsourcing/offshoring) and leveraging alternative legal service providers
- Experience with one or more of Serengeti/Legal Tracker, Exterro Fusion, Office 365, or business intelligence/dashboarding/data analytics tools strongly preferred
- Experience designing, documenting, and executing processes and procedures in multi-national, highly-regulated industry strongly preferred
- Self-motivated and able to set strategy, balance competing priorities, and work both independently and in a team environment
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer /F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
US – NJ
Legal & Compliance