Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Chief Governance Officer and Corporate Secretary, the Vice President & Senior Legal Counsel, Labor and Employment Law will manage a team of experienced attorneys, paralegals and administrative assistants to deliver labor and employment legal services for the CVS enterprise. This individual will work closely with Senior Executives, Operational Management, Human Resources, and other functions.
The Vice President will oversee all labor and employment legal services for a complex, diverse company of more than 300,000 employees throughout the United States. The Vice President will ensure that the company complies with federal, state and local laws affecting the employer-employee relationship with an emphasis on working with Human Resources on creating a culture where a diverse workforce can thrive. This individual will work collaboratively with different company stakeholders on strategic projects, oversee a large docket of single plaintiff and class action lawsuits and provide day-to-day counseling on all aspects of the employer-employee relationship. The Vice President will manage a team of approximately 15 legal professionals in a fast-paced dynamic work environment.
Lead legal contact for Chief Human Resources Officer and enterprise HR team on issues related to:
• Employment best practices
• Discrimination in employment and public accommodation
• I-9s, E-Verify and immigration issues
• Non-competition and other restrictive covenant agreements
• Offer letters and separation agreements
• Diversity practices and Affirmative action programs
• Labor Relations
• Working with Government Affairs on legislation and policy statements associated with employment laws
• Working with Corporate Communications and other stakeholders on issues that ultimately become publicly disclosed
• Employment issues arising in transactions
• Minimum 10 years of experience in a law firm or in-house position with a focus on employment law
• Experience supervising professional teams
• Strong communication skills – must be able to influence at all levels
• Ability to navigate in a fast-moving environment and provide concise and timely advice to stakeholders
• Expertise in the full range of labor and employment laws
• Strong litigation management experience
• Admitted to a state bar and currently in good standing
• Experience in a health care or retail organization
• Experience with California class actions and single plaintiff employment cases
• The successful candidate will immediately develop a working understanding of the CVS Health Corporation business models and strategic initiatives.
Graduate of a law school accredited by the American Bar Association