Why is this role critical?
The Sr. Labor and Employment Counsel will provide strategic legal advice to management and Human Resources professionals on routine and complex labor and employment matters. The position develops legally sound solutions and training that are consistent with naviHealth’s business and financial objectives.
What you will be accountable for…
- Serve as legal liaison to Human Resources and provide SME support to Human Resources and Operations on labor and employment matters.
- Provide advice and counsel to management and HR professionals on all aspects of day-to-day employment-related matters, including but not limited to hiring and termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, reasonable accommodations, leaves of absence, wage and hour issues, restrictive covenants, and employee investigations.
- Provide advice and counsel to management on issues such as state and federal regulations relating to executive compensation, health and welfare benefits, and 401(k), including drafting related policies and relevant provisions in employment agreements, and serve as subject matter expert on executive compensation matters such as 409A.
- Investigate and represent the Company at the federal and state administrative level (EEOC, DOL, and state and local analogue agencies). Prepare position statements and bring in outside counsel, where appropriate.
- Manage employment litigation, develop strategy, facilitate discovery, and consult on key decisions.
- Represent the Company in mediations and negotiate settlement agreements.
- Review involuntary terminations and draft separation packages.
- Develop, provide, and deliver proactive training to Human Resources professionals and business leaders on a wide variety of employment law matters.
- Regularly advise Human Resources leaders on leave management, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, FCRA, Title VII, ADEA, USERRA, NLRA, and other labor and employment legal obligations.
- Research and advise business leaders on emerging legislative and regulatory changes affecting naviHealth’s employment and labor obligations.
- Partner with business teams on immigration matters related to naviHealth’s employees.
- Support naviHealth’s Compliance program in conjunction with Legal and Compliance colleagues.
- Assist in the drafting, implementation and enforcement of internal policies and procedures related to Human Resources issues to ensure compliance with all laws, regulations, and legal standards.
- Assist in the development of appropriate tools and processes to preserve appropriate records of Labor and Employment matters and deliver the most cost-effective legal advice.
- Manage outside counsel resources and legal fees in accordance with budgetary commitments.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested.
What you will need to be successful in this role…
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school required
- Licensed member of the Tennessee bar, in good standing
- Minimum of 12 years of related and relevant experience required
- Must be able to balance business needs and corporate goals within the appropriate legal framework and with a large emphasis on compliance
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Must provide strategic high-level legal counsel as a partner to senior business leaders and Human Resources professionals
- Prior experience managing the strategy and resolution of litigation and administrative agency charges and proceedings, including regulatory agency inquiries, complaints, investigations
- Must possess good business judgment and strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and as a team player with flexibility and be willing to work on a broad range of legal matters
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to prioritize and manage numerous matters simultaneously
- Prior in-house experience strongly preferred
- Prior experience defending wage and hour class actions as outside or in-house counsel preferred
- Prior experience with ERISA and benefits plans preferred
- Prior experience as in-house counsel for a multi-state company preferred