PMI’s Litigation and Investigations Group is responsible for managing the defense of product liability litigation of behalf of Philip Morris International Inc. and its affiliates (PMI), managing other litigation of company-wide significance, leading and conducting internal investigations, and administering the legal hold program.
This position reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Litigation & Investigations, and is based in New York, New York.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Help oversee and manage PMI’s product liability litigation caseload and other cases of company-wide significance focusing primarily on non-US jurisdictions. Specifically, develop and execute with other members of PMI’s Litigation & Investigations group PMI’s litigation strategy, manage discovery obligations, manage outside counsel, determine proper case disposition, and monitor litigation budgets expenses.
• Evaluating and managing pre-litigation disputes arising from the use of PMI products.
• Advise PMI business units concerning various matters, including product warnings, product use instructions, and risk mitigation strategies.
• Leading or participating in significant internal investigations.
• Assist in the identification, selection, and management of outside counsel to assure legal services are rendered to PMI that are results-oriented, timely, competent, and cost efficient.
Expected Areas of Competence
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational and project-management skills
• Demonstrate with a high degree of professionalism, diplomacy, discretion, and judgment;
• Demonstrated experience with and technical knowledge of e-discovery;
• Complete comprehension of the civil litigation process from start to finish, including pleadings, discovery, motion practice, experts, and trials;
• Highly motivated, self-starter willing to work in fast-paced environment with a strong focus on collaboration;
• Demonstrated ability to operate independently and as part of a team; and
• Demonstrated ability to develop close working relationships with internal clients in which corporate goals and priorities are maintained without compromising legal integrity.
• Juris Doctor (law degree) from an American Bar Association accredited Law School required or international equivalent;
• Currently admitted in good standing to practice law in at least one state in the United States or international equivalent;
• Minimum of 6 years of law firm experience with an emphasis on complex litigation (at least some product liability litigation experience required).