Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Represent Abbott before government/administrative agencies in discrimination, wage and other employment claims, and in response to threatened claims
- Provide legal counsel to management regarding all employment and labor law issues, including restrictive covenants
- Provide employment and labor law support on merger and acquisition agreements, due diligence, integration and other business restructuring projects.
- Support corporate compliance initiatives
- Provide project direction and supervision of outside counsel on domestic and international matters
- Resolve legal labor and employment issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise
- Develop successful employment litigation strategies
- Supervise and direct outside counsel in execution of strategies in employment litigation and with provide creative approaches to dispute resolution
- Coach and direct assigned support staff in their responsibilities
- Position Accountability/Scope:
- Position reports to Division Counsel, Litigation, responsible for Labor and Employment
- Position will interact with senior management in Abbott Legal, Human Resources and the business units
- Candidates must possess a JD degree and have or be able to obtain appropriate licensure to practice law in Illinois.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of management-side labor and employment law counseling and litigation practice (at least 3 with a reputable law firm).
In-house experience preferred.