Tough Mudder’s mission is to grow a global tribe that lives courage, personal accomplishment, teamwork, and fun. From day one, we’ve built a culture to reflect that philosophy, bringing on quirky people who are great at what they do and passionate about our events and customers. Together we have created a company that has become a movement. The opportunity ahead of us is vast, and we continue to look for the best and brightest to join us.
Tough Mudder’s flagship U.S. office is located in downtown Brooklyn. Joining our team offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for those dedicated few who share the goal of delivering great experiences for our participants. We’re on the lookout for people who want more than a job or even a career – they want to help build a company that changes the lives of millions of people for the better. As a member of TMHQ, you’ll be given an opportunity to push your boundaries and find out what you’re capable of, to work with and learn from incredibly smart colleagues, and to enjoy the journey of building a world-class company.
Sound like something you can get on board with?
Reporting to the President, Corporate Counsel (CC) will lead the day-to-day work of the company’s global legal and risk management portfolio and work to implement strategies for helping the company achieve its business goals and objectives. The CC’s duties are extensive and include the following:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- Serving as Corporate Secretary to the Board of Directors, managing flow of information to the Board and shareholders and maintaining all corporate records.
- Managing a suite of outside counsel support in various practice areas.
- Researching laws of various local, state, national and international jurisdictions, and formulating comprehensive action plans in a wide variety of practice areas
- Registering and defending intellectual property (trademark and copyright)
- Implementing licensing, sponsorship, service provider, and media negotiation strategies
- Litigation management and counseling involving threatened and actual litigation
- Reviewing/developing corporate policies (HR, intellectual property/marketing, contract negotiation)
- Serve as an advisor to Tough Mudder’s Global Safety Committee, weighing in on risk management, insurance and regulatory considerations.
- Manage Tough Mudder’s global insurance program, including regular contact with brokers, claim managers and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to be fluidly work as a team player and independently, as circumstances require.
- Adaptable to a fast paced environment where priorities shift rapidly.
- Strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills.
- Open-mindedness and willingness to accept constructive criticism to further professional development.
- Adaptability, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to self-reflect.
- Strong discretion and ability to confidentially manage sensitive information.
- Desire to expand beyond thinking like a lawyer.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to multi-task in a high stress environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to interact well with senior executives, board of directors, corporate partners and talented staff
- Strong knowledge in diverse fields of law including business, corporate governance, intellectual property, litigation, labor, employment, insurance, risk management and media law.
- Familiarity with entertainment law, privacy and internet law, and regulatory matters is a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of contract negotiation and general corporate law.
- J.D. required.
- 5+ years of legal experience.
- Admission to New York State Bar or State Bar of another jurisdiction that allows for immediate reciprocity preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of computerized legal research.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills.