The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (METRO), the third largest rail transit system in the country, is seeking a highly motivated individual to oversee the Rail Scheduling and Planning Division. The Metro Rail system is the heartbeat of the Washington region and is currently undergoing a major infrastructure re-build and is poised to undertake a regrowth in ridership. We are seeking someone with a sound background in rail operations, extensive knowledge in scheduling and the ability to monitor and respond to a constantly changing ridership. METRO is a safety-first organization and is committed to improving our customer experience. The ideal candidate should be quick in responding to changing conditions and have the ability to build and sustain relationships across the organization. The ideal candidate should also have project management experience in leading/managing the implementation of new complex scheduling software programs.
- Bachelor's degree in Transportation Planning, Engineering or a related field
- In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, a high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED), with four (4) years of experience providing comprehensive transportation services in the aspects of transportation planning, management, and technical analysis
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in providing comprehensive transportation services in the aspects of transportation planning, management, and technical analysis
- Master's degree in Planning, Engineering, Economics, or related field
- Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS)
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Director, Rail Operations Planning & Scheduling is responsible for effective leadership, organization and staffing of a multifaceted office producing work for rail service scheduling, rail service planning management analysis, and ridership pattern profiles. The incumbent is tasked for effectively and efficiently developing, managing, coordinating, and directing the preparation of rail operation schedules, and conducting rail operation efficiency and logistical management analysis. Integral to the position are responsibilities of budget development, the development of service plans, programs, and analysis that support and advance the provision of safe and reliable Metrobus services. The incumbent further represents the Authority to regional service providers and jurisdictions in regional service development and planning activities, including coordination with other offices within the Authority, and with federal, state, regional, and local agency representatives and stakeholders.
- Annually prepares and updates the office work plan which supports the mission, goals and objectives of the Authority. Directs the development and preparation of major inputs to the annual work plan of Metrobus and Metrorail services including identification of program goals, determining budget, equipment, facility, staffing and consultant needs, initiation of services, projects, and studies.
- Prepares and manages the office operating budget to fulfill the requirements of the office work plan. Directs, manages, and supervises subordinate staff to include allocating resources, ensuring appropriate subordinate training, establishing work plans, conducting performance evaluations, assigning duties, and generally supervising and directing work
- Provides senior level management and oversight in rail service scheduling, rail service planning and provides rail operation management analysis focusing on improvements on operation reliability, customer service and cost reduction; and, coordinates and implements policies, procedures and programs in support of rail operations. Works pro-actively with Metrorail Supervisors, Assistant Superintendents, and Superintendents, service planners and management to monitor and report on service conditions and coordinate multi-departmental solutions to rail service.
- Supports the design, process engineering and implementation of state-of-the art technology and planning applications. Manages the training and development of staff to effectively utilize new technologies.
- Plays an active or lead role in regional efforts relating to rail transit modes, including light rail and street trolley modes. Partners with Bus Operation in coordinating schedules within WMATA and with external bus service providers to ensure continuity of operations between modes.
- Directs the preparation of annual and long-range service forecasts for budgetary and other management purposes. Prepares and presents verbal/written reports/recommendations for the Board of Directors (BOD), executive and senior leadership and others within areas of assigned responsibility as required.
- Directs the development of complex operational plans and scenarios for the agency's significant trackwork efforts, including weekend and long-term shutdowns. Works regularly in close coordination with Rail Departments such as: Maintenance of Way Engineering (MOWE), Office of Rail transportation (RTRA), Office of Car Maintenance (CMNT) and other engineering and maintenance departments to ensure that service plans maximize the limited service provided to the public.
- Supports long term planning, short term operational, and special projects by managing the design, programming, and performing schedule production and resource analyses of various service scenarios.
- Manages the production of schedules, logistical analysis, and/or work assignments to support operational service requirements to include, but not limited to, shift picks, holidays, special events, and weekday and weekend outages for maintenance.
- Directs the development and maintenance of RAIL fleet, infrastructure, and asset management plans.
- Manages other various assignments, such as, but not limited to, the implementing proper business process in the use of scheduling software; formulating and delivering of cost assumptions to operations budget staff for the purpose of generating well designed and documented annual budgets; generating ridership profiles for Metrorail stations; utilizing simulation products to evaluate schedules and infrastructure limits; and, modeling, analyzing, and providing enhancement options for improved efficiencies for customer boarding, platform utilization, and platform customer flow.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
- May act as designee of CMO to participate in arbitrations and other legal actions resulting from OHAW decisions.
- Ensures all clinical documentation is in accordance with professional practice and standards
- Ensures pre-employment evaluations are reviewed as appropriate for the determination of commercial driver fitness
- Collaborates with WMATA clinicians regarding employees who conditions that could affect ability to perform work; and make appropriate referrals and recommendations for further consultation, modified duty, and/or temporary or permanent disability and review of medical records in determination for qualification to meet medical standards.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.